Are you ever caught by surprise by the events of life? Do you ever wake up and wonder how you got there? How has time passed so quickly? That’s where I found myself.
People warned me it would happen:
“They grow up quickly,” they cautioned.
“Before you know it, they’ll be graduating,” others warned.
Little did I know how true those statements were.
How I wish I could have slowed down the ticking of the clock and memorized more of the moments.
Eighteen years ago I had no idea just how much it was possible for my heart to grow and expand to hold more love for another human being than I already did. I had no idea how much I could be so proud of another person. I had no clue how much my heart would break when another’s heart broke.
I had no idea how fast time would pass. I could not conceive of how I could have such bittersweet feelings at one time: sadness for the end of a season and excitement for the start of another.
I had no clue how my heart would swell at seeing my baby boy turn into a responsible, young man of God, seemingly over night.
This lifetime education has taught me several things that it would behoove you to remember:
- God has good plans for you, Son. “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
- Keep your eyes on Him and He will direct your path. “We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.” (Proverbs 16:9)
- Seek Him first and all other things will be added unto you. “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:33)
- Worrying never serves us well. Refuse to worry and you’ll keep God’s peace. “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7)
- You may not always be accepted by man, but God always accepts you and that’s all that matters. “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)
- Nothing can separate you from God’s love (or mine). “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow–not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” (Romans 8:38)
On this graduation day, I realize just how far we’ve both come, how much I’ve grown, and how much we’ve both learned. I feel like, in some respects, we’re both graduating today. Always know how proud I am of you! Love, your biggest cheerleader, Mom.
Because of Him,
(If you have a question you’d like Dr. B to answer, contact her here now. Your name and identity will be kept confidential.)
A short brief about Hope Prevails.
Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey through Depression
Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Speaking from personal and professional experience, a neuropsychologist unpacks what depression is, shows how it affects us spiritually, and offers hope for living the abundant life.
Neuropsychologist Offers Hope to Those Struggling with Depression
-By 2020, depression will be our greatest epidemic worldwide
- An estimated 350 million people worldwide suffer from some form of depression
- As with the bestselling My Stroke of Insight, the author experienced the same condition she treats
- Helpful features include personal stories, biblical truths, prayers, and music recommendations
In Hope Prevails, Dr. Bengtson writes with deep compassion and empathy, blending her extensive training and faith, to offer readers a hope that is grounded in God’s love and grace. She helps readers understand what depression is, how it affects them spiritually, and what, by God’s grace, it cannot do. The result is a treatment plan that addresses the whole person—not just chemical imbalances in the brain.
For those who struggle with depression and those that want to help them, Hope Prevails offers real hope for the future.
Hope Prevails is available now wherever books are sold. To find out more, see: http://drmichellebengtson.com/hope-prevails-book/.