Dear Dr. B,
Are there simple prayers I can pray for my children? I know I should be praying for them daily, I’m just not sure what I should pray.
Dear Prayerful Parent,
I don’t generally recommend that you pray according to any specific formula per se. However, that being said, I do think that there are several areas of our children’s lives that it is important that as parents, we cover them in prayer.
1. One of the greatest areas that we can pray for our children is for their salvation. (Proverbs 22:6, Isaiah 45:8, 2 Tim. 2:10)
2. At the same time, we can pray that our children will come to have a love for God’s Word. (Psalm 119:105, Psalm 34:8)
3. #Pray that our children will learn the benefit and joy of submitting to God and obeying Him. (James 4:7; James 4:10)
4. Another area that I frequently pray for my children is for them to be convicted of their sin. I know it may sound strange, but while they are still young, I pray that they will get caught in the act of their misbehavior and learn the consequences of their wrongdoing now, and learn that the opportunity for repentance is a gift from God. (1 John 2:1)
5. Pray that God will protect them from evil. (John 17:15, Isaiah 54:17)
6. Pray that our children will have wisdom and make wise choices in their lives. (Proverbs 4:5)
7. Pray that our children will have Godly friendships. (1 Samuel 23:16)
8. Pray for our children to make wise choices in a future spouse and to have God’s favor in doing so. (Proverbs 18:22)
God has declared that His word will not return to Him void (Isaiah 55:11), so as you pray Biblical truths over your children, be assured that you are opening up the storehouses of God’s provision over them. As much as you care for them, rest in the confident truth that God cares for them so much more than you do and longs to see your prayers answered.
Because of Him,
(If you have a question you’d like Dr. B to answer, contact her here now. Your name and identity will be kept confidential.)