Dear Dr. B,
I’m wondering how to combat negative thoughts and overcome negativity by speaking the truth instead. Do you have any practical applications for how to put that into practice?
Nagged by the Negative
The best way to combat negative thoughts and overcome negativity in general is to fight back with God’s Word. The following 4 step process on eliminating negativity will help with identifying lies you’ve agreed with so you can replace them with God’s truth from the Bible.
How To Overcome Negative Thoughts – 4 Step Process
Step 1: Make the choice to overcome negative thinking
The first thing you have to do is make the choice to overcome negativity in your life. It sounds to me that you desire to do so, so you’ve made the first and hardest step! Congratulations!
Step 2: Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth
The second thing I’d recommend is that you pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth. What we are talking about here is really a matter of identifying the lies we have agreed with and replacing them with God’s truth. Sometimes, however, the lies are so firmly entrenched in our thinking that we aren’t even aware that they are lies. That’s where we need the help of the Holy Spirit to identify them for what they are, and to show us God’s truth. Scripture tells us “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you” (James 1:5).
Step 3: Record God’s promises in a notebook or journal
The third thing I’d recommend is that when you have your daily quiet time (I’m assuming you have one. If you don’t, then start having one!!), as you come across God’s promises to us in Scripture, jot them down in a notebook or journal so that you can refer back to them. Those are the truths that you’ll use to overcome the negativity that threatens to overwhelm your mind.
Step 4: Recognize negative thoughts and record the truth that combats them
Fourth, when you begin to recognize negative thoughts, jot them down; then, jot down the truth that combats it.
How to overcome negative thoughts: replace them with God’s Word
9 Examples for overcoming negative thinking:
- When you are tempted to think, “I can’t figure it out,” think instead, “God will direct my steps” (Proverbs 3:5-6).
- When you are tempted to think, “It’s impossible,” think instead, “All things are possible” (Luke 18:27).
- When you find yourself thinking, “I’m not smart enough,” remember that God says He will give you wisdom (1 Corinthians 1:30).
- When times are difficult and you feel like you can’t go on, remember that God promises that His grace is sufficient for you (2 Corinthians 12:9).
- When you don’t think you can manage a situation, remember that God has promised that He will supply all your needs (Philippians 4:19).
- When you are afraid, remember that God has not given you a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).
- When you feel alone, remind yourself of the truth that says that He will never leave you (Hebrews 13:5).
- When you have made a mistake and find it difficult to forgive yourself, remember that God has already forgiven you (Romans 8:1).
- When you feel unloved, remember the truth that God loves you (John 3:16).
Write out these truths and recite them often if necessary until they become part of your beliefs. And pray and ask God to help you truly believe them. That’s the kind of prayer He delights in answering!
Dear One, you are loved. You are beautiful. You have a bright future with a purpose and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11). It’s up to you to believe it. Will you?
Because of Him, #Hope Prevails!
Other Popular Hope-Filled Posts with Scripture:
Who God Says You Are: 17 Scriptures About Our True Identity – 17 Bible Verses with what God says about you and who God says you are
Whose Opinion Counts including What God Says About You: 20 Scriptures That Define Your Worth
10 Scriptures When You Need Strength – we all need the strength of the Lord
10 Scriptures for Mothers Suffering from Depression – there is hope and help for depression
(If you have a question you’d like Dr. B to answer, contact her here now. Your name and identity will be kept confidential.)
Depression doesn’t have to become a permanent part of life.
There is hope.
Hope Prevails: Insights From a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression and the companion Hope Prevails Bible Study help the reader understand how depression comes to be, recover their joy, reclaim their peace, and re-establish their true identity, while knowing their worth, remembering their secure destiny, and being confident that nothing separates them from God’s love.
“Dr. Michelle Bengtson’s enlightening book, Hope Prevails, provides a master blueprint for overcoming negative thoughts and toxic emotions. Targeting a generation who feels lost and hopeless, this book provides meaningful help to everyone who has endured unexpected heartache, pain or trauma. Hope Prevails offers effective answers on how to overcome loss and reach for a life brimming with peace, joy and limitless dreams. Reading this book will drastically improve your life.” ~ Tracey Mitchell TV Host, Preacher, Author, Downside Up