As parents, it’s important for us to cover these 8 areas of our children’s lives with prayer. I’ve included Bible verses because God loves when we pray scripture back to Him. He declared that His word will not return to Him void (Isaiah 55:11). As you pray these 8 Simple Prayers and Biblical truths over your children daily, be assured that you are opening up the storehouses of God’s provision over them.
Dear Dr. B,
Are there simple prayers I can pray for my children? I know I should be praying for them daily, I’m just not sure what I should pray.
Dear Prayerful Parent,
I don’t generally recommend that you pray according to any specific formula per se. However, that being said, I do think that there are several areas of our children’s lives that it is important that as parents, we cover them in prayer.
8 simple prayers with scripture to pray daily over your children
- One of the greatest areas that we can pray for our children is for their salvation. “Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6
“You heavens above, rain down my righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness flourish with it; I, the LORD, have created it.” Isaiah 45:8
“Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.” 2 Timothy 2:10
- At the same time, we can pray that our children will come to have a love for God’s Word.“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Psalm 119:105
“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8
- Pray that our children will learn the benefit and joy of submitting to God and obeying Him.“Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” James 4:7
“Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.” James 4:10
- Another area that I frequently pray for my children is for them to be convicted of their sin. I know it may sound strange, but while they are still young, I pray that they will get caught in the act of their misbehavior and learn the consequences of their wrongdoing now, and learn that the opportunity for repentance is a gift from God.“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.” 1 John 2:1
- Pray that God will protect them from evil. “My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.” John 17:15
“…no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their vindication from me, declares the LORD.” Isaiah 54:17
- Pray that our children will have wisdom and make wise choices in their lives. “Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or turn away from them.” Proverbs 4:5
- Pray that our children will have Godly friendships.“And Saul’s son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God.” 1 Samuel 23:16
- Pray for our children to make wise choices in a future spouse and to have God’s favor in doing so. “He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.” Proverbs 18:22
God has declared that His word will not return to Him void (Isaiah 55:11), so as you pray Biblical truths over your children, be assured that you are opening up the storehouses of God’s provision over them. As much as you care for them, rest in the confident truth that God cares for them so much more than you do and longs to see your prayers answered.
God isn’t looking for fancy prayers. He’s looking for honest prayers that connect our hearts to His.
Because of Him,
Today is Going to be a Good Day
Exciting News! My newest book, Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right is now available!
More information on this uplifting devotional that helps you make each day a good day no matter what is going on in your life.
When life conspires to drag us down with all of its troubles, it can be hard to keep our spirits up. In times of severe illness and depression, I learned that when I stand on God’s promises, despite my circumstances, every day can be a good day.
Each reading includes Scripture, reflection, prayer, and a recommended playlist song designed to help you live out Philippians 4:8: “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.”
For more information on the book visit:
I love how these prayers can be used for children of any age. Our son is 32 years old and these prayers are great for him and our daughter-in-love, too. 🙂
These prayers definetly give us purpose and a straight and narrow way to pray directly for our children. Thanks so much for sharing
come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com
When I can’t trust my own heart, I know that it is safe to pray Scripture for my boys. Thanks for these suggestions!
Amen and Amen to all those prayer points.
I’ll surely be using them.
I also pray that my children will fulfill their calling and destiny in life.
You are blessed.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for putting all 8 prayers on an image! Definitely saving and printing out to keep in my Bible. Blessings!
This is a great list. I love the scripture verses that you suggest to go with these prayer points.
I love these prayers! I plan to print them and pray them daily.
I also will share this link in my BEEP (Bible study/Eating healthy/Exercise/Prayer) newsletter.
I love this list, particularly #4. Only God can do that kind of heart work and I pray for it consistently.
So much wisdom in all the points of prayer that you have listed.
I LOVED the insight to pray that our children will have a love of God’s Word.
Great, edifying post!
Great list! Thank you!
Hi, Dr. B! This is such a wonderful list. It is so important to pray for our children. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Amen!!! Awesome encouragement for today Dr. Michelle! My children are now grown with families of their own but we pray diligently for them in every area you mention not only for themselves but also because they have their own children to raise, nurture and care for who need all the same prayer as they do. So praying over our grandchildren too that they will receive salvation, wisdom, love God’s Word and know truth. Our children were both saved as children, raised in church and very active in all ministries of the church but after grown have not attended church but both live by Godly principles. Our son was hurt by the kids in his youth group so has used that as an excuse to not be involved in church. I pray that with a 5 year old he will realize the need to be in church as a family. Our daughter knows the power of prayer and loves the Lord but they could not find a church that suited both of them. So I keep praying believing and expecting. Thank you so much for your guidance in praying for our children.
Our children are grown and we now have granddaughters and these Scriptures can be prayed over each one of them. May we never stop praying!