As parents, it’s important for us to cover these 8 areas of our children’s lives with prayer. I’ve included Bible verses because God loves when we pray scripture back to Him. He declared that His word will not return to Him void (Isaiah 55:11). As you pray these 8 Simple Prayers and Biblical truths over your children daily, be assured that you are opening up the storehouses of God’s provision over them.
Dear Dr. B,
Are there simple prayers I can pray for my children? I know I should be praying for them daily, I’m just not sure what I should pray.
Dear Prayerful Parent,
I don’t generally recommend that you pray according to any specific formula per se. However, that being said, I do think that there are several areas of our children’s lives that it is important that as parents, we cover them in prayer.
8 simple prayers with scripture to pray daily over your children
- One of the greatest areas that we can pray for our children is for their salvation. “Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6
“You heavens above, rain down my righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. Let the earth open wide, let salvation spring up, let righteousness flourish with it; I, the LORD, have created it.” Isaiah 45:8
“Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.” 2 Timothy 2:10
- At the same time, we can pray that our children will come to have a love for God’s Word.“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Psalm 119:105
“Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Psalm 34:8
- Pray that our children will learn the benefit and joy of submitting to God and obeying Him.“Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” James 4:7
“Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.” James 4:10
- Another area that I frequently pray for my children is for them to be convicted of their sin. I know it may sound strange, but while they are still young, I pray that they will get caught in the act of their misbehavior and learn the consequences of their wrongdoing now, and learn that the opportunity for repentance is a gift from God.“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.” 1 John 2:1
- Pray that God will protect them from evil. “My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.” John 17:15
“…no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their vindication from me, declares the LORD.” Isaiah 54:17
- Pray that our children will have wisdom and make wise choices in their lives. “Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or turn away from them.” Proverbs 4:5
- Pray that our children will have Godly friendships.“And Saul’s son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God.” 1 Samuel 23:16
- Pray for our children to make wise choices in a future spouse and to have God’s favor in doing so. “He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.” Proverbs 18:22
God has declared that His word will not return to Him void (Isaiah 55:11), so as you pray Biblical truths over your children, be assured that you are opening up the storehouses of God’s provision over them. As much as you care for them, rest in the confident truth that God cares for them so much more than you do and longs to see your prayers answered.
God isn’t looking for fancy prayers. He’s looking for honest prayers that connect our hearts to His.
Because of Him,
Today is Going to be a Good Day
Exciting News! My newest book, Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right is now available!
More information on this uplifting devotional that helps you make each day a good day no matter what is going on in your life.
When life conspires to drag us down with all of its troubles, it can be hard to keep our spirits up. In times of severe illness and depression, I learned that when I stand on God’s promises, despite my circumstances, every day can be a good day.
Each reading includes Scripture, reflection, prayer, and a recommended playlist song designed to help you live out Philippians 4:8: “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.”
For more information on the book visit: