In this episode, Nan Jones and I talk about how to maintain our hope when we feel abandoned by God. During those times when we feel alone, we so desperately need evidence of God’s abiding presence. So often when we are in the valley, going through difficult times, it’s easy to feel like God has abandoned us. That’s when we need to pray God will open our eyes so that we can see Him despite our circumstances.
Nan also shares how to find evidence of God’s abiding presence in the midst of suffering in this post: 5 Practical Ways to Find Evidence of God’s Abiding Presence
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Having a temper tantrum with God is demonstrating authentic faith and following the command to come boldly before His throne.
- We have a choice to step in, to lean in, and to focus on Him.
- We have to remember that our God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
- Seeking God and His presence is contingent on my attitude.
- God pursues us with His love in our desert places.
- Exodus 33:14 “And He said, ‘My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.’”
- Acts 17:27-28 “so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being …”
- John 15:4 (NKJV) “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- The Broken Way by Ann Voskamp
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Guest and Host:
To connect with Nan Jones:
About Nan Jones:
God has called Nan Jones to help others find Him in their darkest hour. Through the written word and the spoken voice of her heart, she shares with you how to see beyond the veil to recognize God’s abiding presence—through good and bad, joy and sorrow, peace and anguish. Nan’s book, The Perils of a Pastor’s Wife, was a 2016 Selah finalist and Badge of Honor winner. Her award-winning blog, Beyond the Veil, is touching Christians internationally who feel abandoned or forgotten by God, but want to learn to recognize His presence. Nan delights in ministering as speaker and teacher wherever women are gathered. She travels from the mountains of western North Carolina.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson