Today we talk about how we can exchange our physical addictions to food/sugar for spiritual transformations. My guest is friend, Wendy Speake, author of The 40-Day Sugar Fast: Where Physical Detox Meets Spiritual Transformation. We’ll explore what is fasting, why should we consider it, and what are some of the surprising benefits.
Wendy shares more about the Sugar Fast here: A New Year’s Revolution
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Unfortunately, no sugar fix can fix you.
- When we stop going from sugar high to sugar high, we turn to the Most High.
- The goal of fasting is always to lay down that which is temporary and pick up that which is eternal.
- Let every hunger pain act like church bells calling you to pray.
- Fasting from anything reminds us of what we want to hunger for.
- When we run to things to satisfy, they hold us back from His strong hold on us.
- Trust God to do what he’s going to do before he does it. Shout the victory in advance, obey, and watch what God does with your submission.Take out the temptation before tempted.
- The first step, before fasting, seek first the kingdom of God.
- He will change our health with a diet, but our life with a fast.
- Our desire is to find Christ as the only option.
- When we turn to Him to be our joy and peace, we don’t need the sugar.
- Fasting is about turning away from anything that gets between our relationship with God, and turning back to Him.
- Sometimes you need to go fast in order to slow down.
- The power of fasting is stopping and watching God deliver us.
- Fasting opens the door for the supernatural work of God.
- Keep in mind, with fasting, this is going to hurt before it feels better.
- Fasting isn’t easy—this is just the brand of your hard in this season.
- As you seek Him first, He’ll transform other areas of your life as well, bringing renewed hope.
- Psalm 34:8-10 NIV “Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him. Fear the Lord, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing. The Lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who see the Lord lack no good thing.”
- Jonah 2:8 “Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them.”
- Matthew 6:33 “These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.”
- Joel 2:12 “That is why the Lord says, ‘Turn to me now, while there is time. Give me your hearts. Come with fasting, weeping, and mourning.’”
- Jeremiah 15:16 “Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- The 40-Day Social Media Fast: Exchange Your Online Distraction for Real-Life Devotion By Wendy Speake
- The 40-Day Sugar Fast: Where Physical Detox Meets Spiritual Transformation by Wendy Speake
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Guest and Host:
To connect with Wendy Speake:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Wendy Speake is the author of The 40-Day Sugar Fast and The 40-Day Social Media Fast and host of the annual online sugar fast. She also co-authored the popular parenting book Triggers: Exchanging Parents’ Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson