It’s my heart’s desire to be part of the solution with respect to tearing down stigma as it relates to mental health, especially in the church and Christian circles. Mental health issues are frequently misunderstood by people, even those diagnosed, but especially those who haven’t personally experienced it. How do we tear down the stigma surrounding mental health without education?
More importantly, how can we be part of the solution rather than add to the problem? Sometimes the best teacher is experience, but I would never wish mental health issues on anyone just so they could gain deeper compassion and empathy for those who are struggling, although that did happen to me after I endured both clinical depression and anxiety.
In this episode, Greg Atkinson and I talk about Bipolar Disorder Stigma.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the episode:
- We do not put our faith in man but in God.
- Healing and life are found in community.
- A key to healing is forgiveness.
- Stigma is perpetuated by ignorance and a lack of understanding.
- Romans 12:15 NLT Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep.
- Proverbs 15:1 (NIV) A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- The Secret Power of Kindness: 10 Keys to Unlocking Your Capacity to Change the World by Greg Atkinson
- The Hem of His Garment: Reaching Out To God When Pain Overwhelms by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion 5-Day Devotional Reaching Out To God When Pain Overwhelms
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the AWSA 2023 Inspirational Gift Book of the Year Award, the Christian Literary Awards Reader’s Choice Award in four categories, and the Christian Literary Awards Henri Award for Devotionals
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Greg Atkinson:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book The Hem of His Garment / Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Greg Atkinson is an author, speaker, pastor, coach and consultant. He is the Founder and CEO of Worship Impressions, the First Impressions Conference, as well as the Co-Founder of the Social Media Church Conference. He has been featured in Forbes, the Wall Street Journal, Christianity Today, and on CBS, FOX, and NBC.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson