If you’ve ever felt like people don’t understand what you’re going through in the midst of mental health challenges, know that you are not alone. There are others out there like you. Paul Gaumer and I talk about Christians and mental health, as well as the stigma around mental illness for Christians. In my own practice, I’ve worked with thousands of patients who endured mental health issues, yet, I’ve seen some of the greatest shaming come from other Christians. Join us for an eye-opening conversation about Christians and mental health and what we can do to break down the walls of stigma. Let’s shatter the stigma together!
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Looking back, God was with me throughout my life. It is by his grace that I made it through my experience with bipolar disorder.
- When we keep things in secret in the darkness, it holds power over us, but when we begin to share authentically, it no longer holds is power.
- In sharing the pain associated with mental health issues, start the discussion with the one person who would bail you out of jail and not judge you.
- If you don’t have a friend or family member you can vulnerably share with, seek out the help of a mental health professional.
- Jesus is our hope. He will walk with us through our mental health journey.
- There are others out there like you—you are not alone.
- Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; Do not be discouraged; for the Lord, your God, will be with you wherever you go.”
- Colossians 3:12-14 “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any. Of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- A Walk With the Light in the Shadows by Paul Gaumer
- The Hem of His Garment: Reaching Out To God When Pain Overwhelms
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Paul Gaumer:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Being a Christian and living with a mental illness is a confusing, frustrating, and emotionally draining daily journey that asks the question, why me Lord? When the demons have a stronghold on your life, God can seem so far away. Paul Gaumer lives with these challenges each day and brings insight into how he continues to focus on God while living with the daily. Struggles of Bipolar Disorder. Paul has written a book, A Walk With the Light in the Shadows, that details his daily journey with the Lord while living with the effects of bipolar disorder.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson