We would be hard pressed to find anyone right now who isn’t going through a hard time, just have experienced a hard time, or headed into a hard time. Yet hard times often challenge our joy. In today’s episode, we talk with guest, Heidi McLaughlin, who experienced several hard times in a row and yet shares with us how she learned to discover joy in the midst of hard times.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- God is a God of an “upper-story.”
- Don’t try to figure God out—trust that He has your situation figured out.
- People often come into our lives to act as sandpaper to us—helping refine our rough edges.
- Don’t despise the deserts and fires of life. It’s in the fire that our priorities change.
- We have to plant that which we want to experience in life. If we want companionship, we must be a companion to others. If we want kindness, we must be kind to others.
- Joy is the portal of heaven.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16–18 NIV “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
- Isaiah 55:8-9 NIV “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.”
- Colossians 2:7 NLT Let your roots grow down into him, and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all he has done.
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Fresh Joy: Finding Joy in the Midst of Loss, Hardship, and Suffering by Heidi McLaughlin
- Sand to Pearls: Making BOLD Choices to Enrich Your Life by Heidi McLaughlin
- Beauty Unleashed by Heidi McLaughlin
- Restless for More: Fulfillment in Unexpected Places by Heidi McLaughlin
- You CAN Have Joy!
- The Fight For Joy
- Joy is a Gift From God
- 8 Ways to Find Joy in Life
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Stay connected with Heidi McLaughlin:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Guest Heidi McLaughlin:
Heidi McLaughlin’s passion is contagious as she inspires her audiences to grasp the truth that there is nothing more beautiful than a woman who knows she is loved. Heidi speaks all over North America and overseas and is an award-winning author. She has written several books, Study Guides and hundreds of articles and blogs. Her upcoming book is called FRESH JOY!
Heidi has been widowed twice and is the mom and step-mom of a blended family of 5 children and 12 grandchildren. Heidi has experienced much tragedy but has learned how to recapture her JOY.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson