Are you tired of dieting? Feeling weak and tired? Are you tired of the dieting yo-yo of losing weight only to gain it back again and more? What do you do when you hate dieting? Today we’re talking about help for disordered eating. My guest has been there, understands, and offers hope, help, and healing for the diet-weary soul.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Disordered eating comes from an unhealthy relationship with food.
- Disordered eating isn’t as much about the food as it is about what we think about food.
- You can be free from disordered eating, shame, a negative body image and an unhealthy relationship with food NOW.
- God is not a God of chaos, but of order.
- When people struggle with disordered eating, they tend to have black and white thinking especially as it relates to food.
- You can cultivate a healthy relationship with your body today and not wait for the thinner one you will have in the future.
- Dieting works from the outside in while God’s healing operates from the inside out.
- We will have no peace when we give the shamer access to our mind and our soul.
- Being free has nothing to do with a number on the scale and most of us need to be free enough to treat our body well before we focus on losing weight.
- Women struggle with these issues no matter what they weigh. It has nothing to do with numbers, it is all about how we think. God heals us from the inside out!
- Become familiar with their own story, process it with the Lord and maybe a counselor, and then begin to combat shame with the Word of God.
- Shame is insidious and colors everything we think and perceive. You are already loved as you are, regardless of what the scale says.
- Proverbs 4:23 NCV “Be very careful about what you think, because your thoughts run your life.”
- Jeremiah 8:11 “For they have treated the brokenness of the daughter of My people superficially, Saying, ‘Peace, peace,’ when there is no peace.”
- 1 Samuel 16:7b NET “God does not view things the way people do. People look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Still Becoming: Hope, Help, and Healing for the Diet Weary Soul by Laura Acuna
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Laura Acuna:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Laura Acuña is a speaker, author, podcast host and coach. A graduate of Liberty University, she earned a degree in Christian Counseling and a minor in Biblical Studies. Married to Pat, the two are the parents of three sons, and one daughter-in-love. They became first-time grandparents to Evelyn Grace (finally a girl!) in July 2021. Laura challenges her sisters to grow up to become spiritually and emotionally mature. Her new book Still Becoming: Hope, Help and Healing for the Diet-Weary Soul released in December, 2022.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson