Episode Summary: Human trafficking is a much bigger issue than most people realize. Today we’re going to be talking with an expert who can shed some light on this global epidemic and provide us some hope for better understanding human trafficking, how we can help, and what needs to be done for ending human trafficking and sexual exploitation.
Today’s guest is Dakota Fitzgerald, currently a North American Cloud Strategist with a background in Broadcast Journalism and Coding and Development. She is also an advocate for the complete eradication of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation in South Carolina and across the globe. As a Constitutional Republic Preservationist she believes We the People are the solution and through Christ we can do all things. Together we can return our Nation to God, and He can heal our land.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Through many trials and tribulations, I have made many mistakes but have learned from each of them. I now view challenges as an opportunity to overcome and bring glory to God.
- We often see a misconception in society around Human Trafficking. In order to efficiently combat this atrocity we need to inform, educate, and shift the mindset associated with this issue. We also need to focus on loving one another better, setting one another up for success from the beginning by laying a firm foundation of Faith. This alone will help to combat Human Trafficking.
- Awareness is where we start the fight against human trafficking.
- There are four main types of human sex trafficking: peer trafficking, familial trafficking, gang trafficking, and survival trafficking.
- The United States is the #1 buyer of trafficking victims with over a $90 billion annual revenue stream.
- Trafficking starts at a point of vulnerability and works to get the victim’s trust, and then start grooming them.
- If there is a bidirectional interaction there is an opportunity for trafficking.
- Trafficking is most prominent in coastal and border areas, and in hubs that connect major cities, but it happens in every city.
- 4 Major Myths about Trafficking: 1) it doesn’t happen to men; 2) all traffickers are men; 3) trafficking only happens in far off lands; 4) trafficking only starts in parking lots.
- There are millions of individuals who have experienced Human Trafficking and the most important message we can give to these victims is that “You Are NOT Alone”.
- Their experiences do not define them but instead give them an opportunity to become victors. Sometimes, we must travel through the darkness in order to recognize the Light.
- Start loving yourself. Every day that we wake up, we are given yet another opportunity to be a better version of ourselves.
- It is so important that we love ourselves and that we take the time to say to ourselves, no matter what we’ve been through, no matter what mistakes we’ve made, that was yesterday.
- Mindset is everything. If we constantly degrade ourselves by negative self thoughts, we limit our view of what we can be. However, if we begin to view each day as a gift, an opportunity, then we can start to imagine ourselves being great. Then it will be so.
- John 1:4-5 In him was life and that life was the Light of all mankind. The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it. NIV
- Isaiah 42: 6-7 I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand, I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the nations, to open eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness. NIV
- Acts 13:46-47 Then Paul and Barnabus answered them boldly, “It was necessary to speak the word of God to you first. But since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles. For this is what the Lord has commanded us: ‘I have made you a Light for the Gentiles, to bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’” NIV
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Human Trafficking Hotline 1-888-373-7888
- TEXT BeFree to 233733
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Dakota Fitzgerald is a Constitutional Republic Preservationist and advocate for the complete eradication of Human Trafficking. She has a background in Survival Training, Women’s Self Defense, Broadcast Journalism, Coding and Development and is currently a North American Cloud Strategist for a prominent IT company. Her mission is to bring together unique skills and perspectives to grow awareness and address the fastest growing global crime – Human Trafficking. She works within her local community to shine light on this issue, provide inspiration and hope to others and to be a voice for the voiceless.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson