Today we’re going to be talking about the tie between self-sufficiency and our fear of inadequacy. My guest today is Erica Wiggenhorn who knows what it’s like to live under the shadow of the imposter syndrome, but who has learned how to untangle herself from the fear of inadequacy and let God be enough for her. She shares how she did it.
Erica also shares the secret she learned for understanding your worth and recognizing your true value: The Secret to Understanding Your Worth
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Early on in my faith walk, I cried out, “Jesus, how am I supposed to follow you if I don’t understand you?”
- We have multiple barometers of success, but if it isn’t based in what God says about us, we will continue striving until we are exhausted.
- The imposter syndrome is when you feel like a fraud or a fake and are waiting to fail and be rejected.
- When we feel like an imposter, inwardly we isolate and that creates a setup for great loneliness.
- Rather than striving, we have to rest in who God is and who He says we are.
- When I face circumstances in this life that are overwhelmingly huge I will know for a fact that I’m not enough and I’m not supposed to be God is enough.
- When I stop striving to be enough to everyone and in everything and allow God to be enough, I surrender in trust over to Him.
- When I make peace with my limitations, I find peace in my relationships.
- No human can thwart a divine plan.
- God’s plan doesn’t rest on our performance but on His promises.
- God is faithful to fill in our gaps. Our limitations provide an invitation for His limitless power.
- 2 Corinthians 3:5 NASB “Not that we are adequate in ourselves so as to consider anything as having come from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God.”
- Exodus 3:11 ESV “But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharoah and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?””
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 ESV “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon Me.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Free eBook set The Busy Woman’s Bundle to Grow Closer to God
- Letting God Be Enough: Why Striving Keeps You Stuck and How Surrender Sets You Free by Erica Wiggenhorn
- Unexplainable Jesus: Rediscovering the God You Thought You Knew by Erica Wiggenhorn
- An Unexplainable Life by Erica Wiggenhorn
- The Unexplainable Church by Erica Wiggenhorn
- Who God Says You Are: 17 Scriptures About Our True Identity
- Finding Your Identity in Christ: 20 Truths from God’s Word
- Lies We Believe vs. Truths From The Bible About Our Identity – Episode 100
- Our Identity in Christ is Certain
- Hope for Living in our True Identity in Christ – Episode 38
- Remember Who You Are: 10 Scriptures to Remind You of Your True Identity
- Revive and Thrive Summit 1
- Revive and Thrive Summit 2
- Revive and Thrive Summit 3/4
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Guest and Host:
To connect with Erica Wiggenhorn:
Website / Facebook / Instagram
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Hope Prevails / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Erica Wiggenhorn is an award-winning author and the founder of Every Life Ministries, bringing you the truths of Scripture to transform your life. By digging deeply into God’s Word, Every Life Ministries encourages you to discover your unique purpose, accept God’s promises, and live by His power. Erica is the author of three Bible studies released by Moody Publishers: An Unexplainable Life, The Unexplainable Church, and Unexplainable Jesus: Rediscovering the God you Thought You Knew.
Her latest release Letting God be Enough: Why Striving Keeps You Stuck and How Surrender Sets You Free just hit the shelves. Erica’s first trade book through Moody Publishers examines Moses’ fear of inadequacy and how God invites Moses to rest in his identity and God’s sufficiency.
Erica serves on the women’s ministry leadership team for her church and regularly teaches in various venues. She’s also taught women in the Arizona State Prison system, and overseas. She loves to bring God’s Word to anyone who’ll listen whether it’s a large women’s conference, a church women’s retreat, or her own kitchen table.
A graduate and post-graduate of Azusa Pacific University, Erica lives in Phoenix with her husband, Jonathan, and their four children only two of which are human, and the others furry and adorable. You can connect with her and find out more about her ministry at ericawiggenhorn.com
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson