In this episode, I talk with Kim Clark about finding hope during difficult times. We discuss the nature of trials, the reason for trials, why God allows us to experience trials, and how to best handle them.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Christianity doesn’t ensure a cake-walk life—Jesus told us to expect to go through many trials and sorrows. But we don’t go through them alone.
- In the cellar of affliction, God keeps His choicest wine. In our trials, that’s when we grow closest to Christ.
- There are no shortcuts in God’s refinement process.
- We can come alongside others in their difficult time even when we can’t understand or relate to their particular trial. Be present.
- When others are going through the flames of affliction, we can throw living water on their fire.
- Instead of asking “why me?” we can ask “why not me?” and thank God that He trusts us with these trials, and that He never wastes our pain.
- God never promises an easy life, but He does promise to work all things together for good when we love Him and are following His will.
- In the midst of our trials, the most powerful prayer we can pray is to pray scripture back to God.
- John 16:33 NLT “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
- Isaiah 43:1-3 ESV “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.”
- Joshua 1:9 ESV “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go”
- Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you”
- Romans 8:28 ESV And my all time favorite: “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Deep Waters: Lift Your Gaze by Kim Clark
- Deep Waters: Lift Your Gaze 30-Day Devotional by Kim Clark
- A free 18 min. Deep Waters: Lift Your Gaze book study facilitator training video on Kim’s website
- A free 48 min. webinar on how to write, publish, and market your book
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Guest and Host:
To connect with Kim M. Clark:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
About Kim M. Clark
Kim enjoys witnessing the miraculous heart-healing done only by our Savior, Lord Jesus Christ, and rejoices as she inspires others to become better versions of themselves. She is a public speaker, bible lecturer, and recovering college marketing instructor. God has used Kim to administrate a child sponsorship organization, where she coordinated the care of close to 1,000 AIDS orphans in Africa. She is an avid runner and has completed two marathons—despite the angry protests from her knees. She and her family enjoy living in sunny Florida, serving in the local church, and playing pool frisbee with their overly active yellow lab, Mango.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson