- Theodore Roosevelt said “Comparison is the thief of joy.” After my conversation with former print and runway model, Jennifer Strickland, I would have to say the strive for perfection is another thief of joy. In this episode, we talk about how the strive for perfection leaves us empty and lonely, and how our true worth and value can only be found in our true identity as children of God.
- Former model, Jennifer Strickland tells us her story about being an international model, and how she turned her back on modeling at the height of her career and never looked back after she found something far more precious and life-giving than a life of anorexia, bulimia, and constant striving for the perfect body.
- If you’ve ever looked in the mirror and walked away disappointed, I encourage you to listen to the end for hope and encouragement.
Jennifer shares the one thing a girl with self-image issues must do to find help, hope, and healing: The One Thing a Girl with Self-Image Issues Must Do
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- 1 Samuel 16:7 “But the Lord said to Samuel, ‘Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.’”
- 1 Peter 3:3-5 says, “Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They put their trust in God and accepted the authority of their husbands.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- “Girl Perfect” by Jennifer Strickland
- “More Beautiful Than You Know” by Jennifer Strickland
- “Beautiful Lies” by Jennifer Strickland
- “21 Myths (Even Good) Girls Believe About Sex” by Jennifer Strickland
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Guest and Host:
To connect with Jennifer Strickland:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Jennifer Strickland is a former international model, TEDx speaker, author, wife, mother of three, and the founder of a non-profit called U R More, that helps women and girls discover their value, identity, and purpose.
Jen has written seven books and studies teaching women and girls their true worth, including Girl Perfect, More Beautiful Than You Know, Beautiful Lies, and 21 Myths (Even Good) Girls Believe About Sex. She holds a bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism and a master’s degree in writing with an emphasis in biblical studies.
In her earlier days, Jen worked for 15 years as a professional model, appearing in Vogue, Glamour, and Cosmopolitan. She was featured in ads for Converse Tennis Shoes, Oil of O’lay, Mercedes Benz, Eddie Bauer, and Jordache; and at the height of her career, she walked the runways of Europe for Giorgio Armani and represented Barbie for the 35th anniversary of the doll. But Jen learned beauty is more than what meets the eye when she discovered what she looked like in God’s eyes.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson