If you have ever been a victim of spiritual abuse or you know someone who has, you’re in the right place. I talk with my guest, Jill Monaco, about how to find freedom from spiritual abuse. Jill has experienced spiritual abuse, and works with clients to help them find freedom. She shares the main thing to focus on in the healing process.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- One incident of spiritual abuse made me desensitized to it so it happened again and again.
- Spiritual abuse uses a relationship, the Bible, or spiritual authority to manipulate and control people.
- A relationship can start off Biblically based then become manipulated over time.
- One example of spiritual abuse is when someone in authority makes themselves look better at your expense.
- Spiritual abusers don’t allow themselves to be held accountable but you have to be.
- Listen to your discernment given to you by the Holy Spirit—if something feels off, consider that it is.
- Abuse is using authority or the Bible to manipulate people into doing things.
- Jesus took me out of ministry so I could heal from spiritual abuse.
- The healing process from spiritual abuse looks different for everyone.
- To begin the process of healing from spiritual abuse, first forgive your abuser, and second, focus on being in God’s presence.
- You have one heart. If you harden it towards others, you also harden it toward God.
- Despite a history of spiritual abuse, keep hoping for the next thing.
- Remember, God is greater than the greatest enemy in your life.
- Ephesians 3:20 NIV “Now to him who is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.”
- Isaiah 61:1-4 NIV “The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor. They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations.”
- 2 Corinthians 3:17 NIV “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”
- John 8:36 “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- The Freedom Coach Model by Jill Monaco
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- 25 Signs of Spiritual Abuse
- Free class Living Free Audio Class with Workbook
- 3 Things I Learned from 12 Years of Spiritual Abuse and Manipulation
- Hope for Healing after Spiritual Abuse – Episode 33
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Jill Monaco:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Jill Monaco is the founder and CEO of Jill Monaco Ministries, a 501(c)3 nonprofit that has a passion to encourage people to pursue the presence of God and find freedom in Christ.
She is a Professional Certified Coach (PCC) life coach with the International Coach Federation and a Certified Master Christian Life Coach (CMCLC) and Mentorship Coach with the International Christian Coach Institute. Jill has developed Freedom Coaching®, a model that blends hearing God, prayer, and coaching tools.
Her first book, The Freedom Coach Model® went to #1 on the Amazon bestseller list. One of her greatest joys is consulting coaches as they establish and grow their business through her program Freedom Business Coaching.
As a Bible teacher, podcaster, and speaker, Jill is known for captivating audiences with her high-energy, humorous approach to life’s serious issues. Her faith-filled and transparent stories encourage listeners to become all that God has created them to be.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson