Lisa Appelo and I talk about how to hang onto threadbare hope when our circumstances are too hard to handle. When Lisa’s husband died suddenly, she was left alone to walk herself and her seven children through grief and loss. She shares about hope in the midst of difficulties.
Lisa shares more of her story and a hope-filled perspective here: When Circumstances are Too Much to Handle
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- When life felt incredibly bad, I needed to know life could be good again.
- Sometimes we have to let go of the life we wanted and take hold of the life in front of us.
- It’s okay to feel our emotions, but they do a poor job telling us the truth.
- Utter dependence on God isn’t what we want, but it’s where God designed us to be.
- Loss revealed where I had misplaced my hope and I learned to hang onto Biblical hope when my emotions were screaming different.
- God does give us too much to handle so that we will learn to depend on him and relinquish the myths of self-control and self-sufficiency.
- When we become helplessly dependent on God we will see God is faithful and that He will come through.
- I’ve seen that being in a place of helpless dependence on God is the best place to be.
- Even in the unknown, we can thank God.
- God doesn’t have a plan B! He already knows how He is going to see you through!
- The 3 best words you can say to someone going through a difficult time is “You’re not alone.” And they aren’t…even when it feels like they are alone, God is with them and will not forsake them.
- Even as life feels better now, as I’m used to the pace, weight and isolation of single parenting following loss, I never want to forget I’m utterly dependent on God for wisdom, guidance, provision and so much more.I might be facing a scary future, but I’d learned God’s promises would hold there.
- We can daily anchor in God’s Word to let Him refocus our perspective, renew our hope and exchange our emotions for His truth.
- We can remember God’s past faithfulness and His character.
- We can tender our heart to God so that we don’t waste the suffering.
- We can look for God’s good hand all around us, which is such a boost to our faith that God is working even in painful circumstances.
- For the one who feels underwater in circumstances that are too much to handle, I’d tell them to look to God to do what we cannot.
- We can’t fix a broken heart or force an outcome. But in that place, we can enter a trust relationship God designed for us.
- We can chisel out idols of control and comfort we’ve polished and learn to trust in the Lord with all our heart.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.
- Psalm 46:1 (ESV) “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
- Deuteronomy 33:26-27 (NIV) “There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides across the heavens to help you, and on the clouds in his majesty. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Life Can Be Good Again: Putting Your World Back Together After It All Falls Apart by Lisa Appelo, Releases 4-19-22, Pre-Order Now!
- Free Bible Study and Journal: 100 Days with Christ
- 7 Days of Hope for Your Shattered Heart
- Trusting God by Jerry Bridges
- How To Train Your Brain To Trust God – Episode 115
- Trusting God In the Storm
- Do You Trust God in Everything?
- Why We Can Trust God Even When Life Doesn’t Make Sense
- Trusting God in Hard Times -7 Lessons Learned
- Access to Dr. Bengtson’s Hope Vault, a library full of free resources that restore hope, renew minds, and empower you to live in your God-given identity.
- Revive and Thrive Virtual Women’s Conference
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Today is Going to be a Good Day by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Lisa Appelo:
Website / Instagram / Facebook / Pinterest / Twitter
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Lisa Appelo is an author and speaker inspiring women to cultivate faith in life’s storms. Ten years ago, Lisa became a sudden widow and single mom to 7. She’s published at many sites including Proverbs 31 Ministries, (in)courage, and Risen Motherhood, and her book Life Can Be Good Again: Putting Your World Back Together After It All Falls Apart releases April, 2022.
As a former litigating attorney, Lisa is passionate about rich Bible teaching. Get your free copy of 7 Days of Hope for Your Shattered Heart at LisaAppelo.com and connect with Lisa on Instagram @lisaappelo.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson
This is a beautiful post! Thank you.
Beautiful post full of hope and encouragement – even for those of us who aren’t experiencing a loss ourselves but want to be a comfort to someone we love.
Stopping by from IMM#30