In this episode, we talk with my guest, Shonda Whitworth, who found herself in the worst of situations…the kind of situation no parent ever wants to experience. She received a call that her son had been arrested and charged with murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon under the Texas Law of Parties. She shares not only her heartache but what the Lord has taught her through it, how her prayer life has changed, and the hope available for parents of incarcerated children.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- When tragedy comes, God’s word has to be inside of us in order to come out of us during those hard times. You have to know what you believe before a crisis hits, because when it does you have a split second before you fall back on what you really do believe.
- Only God can make something good come out of a good situation. And He promises that in His word.
- We can take a situation that the enemy tries to shame us for, and say “No!” to his taunts and jeers because the Bible says there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
- God used the most unlikely people and the most difficult circumstances to fulfill His promises. For example, God used Samson even though he wandered off, but God ultimately used him for good.
- We need to pray for those who are in prison as if we were in prison ourselves.
- Appealing to the courtroom of heaven is praying. God is judge of all. The enemy is our accuser. Because Jesus died on our behalf, we can enter the courtroom of heaven at any time. But the enemy doesn’t like we can petition our Father for those things that are rightfully ours. The blood of Jesus covers our sin when we come to the Father and repent and confess.
- We may not have a loved one in prison, but the enemy so often holds each of us in our own prisons through worry, fear, anxiety, depression, discouragement, shame, sin, etc.
- Confession and repentance sets us free!
- Jesus already paid the price for every sin we have or will ever commit, but it is up to us to go to our Heavenly Father, the only one worthy of judging us, to repent and confess our sin so that he will declare us not guilty. And that sets us free.
Romans 8:28 NLT “And we know that God causes everything to work together[a] for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.”
Hebrews 4:16 NLT “So, let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.”
Romans 15:13 NLT “I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.”
- Appeal to the Courtroom of Heaven by Shonda Whitworth
- A free downloadable PDF of 8 Prayers to Pray for Your Incarcerated Loved One is available at FortressofHopeMinistries.com
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
About Shonda Whitworth:
Shonda Whitworth writes, teaches, and speaks at conferences and retreats to share the hope of healing and restoration we have in Jesus. After her son landed in state prison, she realized the hardships families of prisoners encounter. She and her husband, Eldon, founded Fortress of Hope Ministries, a nonprofit organization that offers hope to families affected by incarceration. Shonda transparently shares her testimony of living with a son in prison at ShondaWhitworth.com and FortressofHopeMinistries.com.
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Shonda Whitworth:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson