In hard times, I like to remember how God cared for His people in the Bible. When I need encouragement and comfort, I often turn to the testimonies in the Bible to bolster my faith. Below, I share my 6 favorite testimonies. They will grow your faith!
Have you ever had something happen that just rocked your world, or took out your legs from beneath you?
I experienced just that a few years ago the first time the doctor called unexpectedly to say, “I’m sorry to tell you this, but you have cancer.”
I sat stunned for a few seconds before she broke into my wildly running thoughts, to ask if then was a good time to schedule surgery. I couldn’t think straight, much less talk on the phone and look at my calendar at the same time. I agreed to call her back later.
The next 24 hours were a whirlwind of emotion. I remained in shock for many hours. I just could not believe the words I heard, or that they applied to me. I thought I was healthy, and reasonably physically fit.
As I shared the news with my closest friends and family, the shock began to wear off and the reality of the situation started to sink in. Many had questions I couldn’t answer or advice I wasn’t ready for. But most offered to pray, and as I thanked them each for their prayers, I also reiterated my faith in the Great Physician. I shared that to encourage them, but I also found it bolstered my own faith.
I knew this cancer diagnosis hadn’t taken God by surprise, and I knew that He already knew how He was going to get me through whatever the future held. I had seen God be faithful time and time again, and I had no reason to doubt that He would be in this situation as well.
Share your testimony
Scripture says that we defeat the enemy by the blood of the lamb and the word of our testimony (Revelations 12:11). Sharing our testimony of what God has done in our life encourages others to have faith in Him. It bolsters their faith when they need it.
As I spent time reflecting on what this new journey for me held, I wanted to bolster my faith, so I turned to Scripture. I’m so thankful that God gave us the Bible to guide us, to encourage us, to comfort us. In hard times, I remember God’s care for His people in the Bible.
6 Testimonies in the Bible that encourage me, comfort me, and cause my faith to grow
- God gave Moses, Aaron and Hur to help hold his arms up when he was weary in battle. I thank God for the many who offer prayers on behalf of me and my family, knowing God hears them and answers.
- The woman with the issue of blood merely needed to touch the hem of Jesus’s garment, and He didn’t shame her for it. He loved her and healed her. I’m reaching for His hem.
- Daniel was not alone when he was put in the lion’s den. I depend on God to be with me through each cancer diagnosis.
- Naomi and Ruth were grieving, but God led them to the place where they would be provided for, and Ruth would find her Boaz. I trust God to lead me through each journey I face so that I can learn what He wants me to learn.
- When she was obedient to God, the widow of Zarephath and her son were provided enough oil and flour to last them for years during the drought and famine. I remain obedient to what God asks me to do.
- And I love that David didn’t worry about how big his Goliath was because he knew how big his God was. I’m focused on how big my God is. The way I choose to look at it is that cancer is a little “c” but Christ and His finished work on the cross are a Big “C” that triumphs over cancer. My bet is on Him.
Where do you find comfort or inspiration from others’ testimonies in the Bible? I’d love to hear in the comments below.
Because of Him, #HopePrevails!
Even in times of crisis, every day can be a good day when you trust the promises of God.
Today is Going to be a Good Day
My newest book, Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right is now available!
This uplifting devotional helps you make each day a good day no matter what is going on in your life.
When life conspires to drag us down with all of its troubles, it can be hard to keep our spirits up. In times of severe illness and depression, I learned that when I stand on God’s promises, despite my circumstances, every day can be a good day.
Each reading includes Scripture, reflection, prayer, and a recommended playlist song designed to help you live out Philippians 4:8: “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.”
For more information on the book visit: Today is Going to be a Good Day Book.