Some people refer to ingratitude as a disease. This gives a false impression. Marketing encourages dissatisfaction with what we have. Political parties encourage us to feel as if we aren’t getting our fair share. We are a nation drenched in entitlement and deficient in gratitude for what we do have. Many of us live as if we don’t have enough. This attitude leaves us feeling left out. According to my guest today, an attitude of gratefulness changes our perspective. The more we focus on ourselves, the less we develop an attitude of appreciation for what we do have. Join me with Michele Howe for how to be grateful. Make time for gratitude and change your world!
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the episode:
- I discovered the life-changing power of saying ‘thank you’ to God no matter what the circumstance?
- Gratitude changes everything even when it seems nothing is changing.
- We change most through suffering.
- As we grow in our knowledge of who God is through his Word, we grow more confident of his faithfulness and promises to provide for our every need.
- As I rest in God’s perfect provision for myself, I am then able to go out and meet your needs in a more robust and faith-driven way because I can “forget” about myself and seek to minister to you and others.
- What I learned about myself was I needed to keep my focus on Him…not on the news, not overly focused on politics, not on trying to control outcomes…but focus on Jesus…one day at a time. And I learned personally that the more I gave thanks…the more emotionally level I became.
- Trusting God! Choosing Gratitude! It’s making an impact on how we think and live.
- He is working to redeem and restore our losses by transforming us into the image of Christ.
- Determine to make time alone with the Lord a top priority because each of needs to have our thoughts renewed daily and in this fallen world that is becoming increasingly evil…we need it all the more.
- God’s Word is the powerful change agent that changes each of us from the inside out.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
- 1 Corinthians 15: 57 NIV But thanks be to God! He gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Colossians 3: 15 NIV Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Grace & Gratitude for Everyday Life by Michele Howe
- Empty Nest: What’s Next? Parenting Adult Children Without Losing Your Mind by Michele Howe
- Preparing, Adjusting, and Loving the Empty Nest by Michele Howe
- Finding Freedom and Joy in Self-Forgetfulness by Michele Howe
- The Hem of His Garment: Reaching Out To God When Pain Overwhelms by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion 5-Day Devotional Reaching Out To God When Pain Overwhelms
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the AWSA 2023 Inspirational Gift Book of the Year Award, the Christian Literary Awards Reader’s Choice Award in four categories, and the Christian Literary Awards Henri Award for Devotionals
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
About Michele Howe
Michele Howe is the author of more than two dozen books and has published over 2500 articles and reviews on parenting, women’s issues, and the empty next. Some of her books include Empty Nest: What’s Next?, Parenting Children without Losing Your Mind, and Finding Freedom and Joy in Self-Forgetfulness.