Have you ever felt the sting of rejection with that sense of betrayal and disappointment that breaks your heart? Did you know there’s a positive side to rejection that we can use as an opportunity and a tool to cope with rejection? Jessica Van Roekel is back to share about 4 lenses that you can use to reframe and cope with rejection. We talk about what rejection is, how to know when we’ve experienced it, and learn how God uses rejection to redirect, refine, and restore us.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Rejection in its simplest form means “no” or a turning away from.
- Rejection can fee like betrayal, disappointment, with no expected escape.
- There are 4 different lenses through which we can positively view rejection: 1) Humble Awe, 2) Mutual Delight, 3) Trustful Dependence, and 4) Aligned Surrender
- The ground is level at the foot of the cross.
- God uses rejection to redirect us, refine us, and restore us.
- Brokenness is sometimes the way to healing.
- God takes the charred places in our life and makes it beautiful again.
- When we experience rejection, we need to S.T.O.P:
- S-Shift our focus
- T-Trust God is faithful and true
- O-Observe ourselves, our thoughts, others, and God’s word
- P-Proceed by faith into forgiveness
- In the positive, we can reject bitterness, resentment, and revenge to be more mature.
- To help our children with their fears of rejection, we need to create a culture where its okay to fail in your own home. And remind your kids who they are in Christ, made on purpose for a purpose.
- Deuteronomy 7:6 NIV “For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
- 1 Peter 2:9-10 NIV “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Reframing Rejection: How Looking Through a Different Lens Changes Everything By Jessica Van Roekel
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Jessica Van Roekel:
Website / Instagram / Facebook
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Jessica is a worship leader, speaker, and writer who believes that through Jesus, personal histories don’t need to define the present or determine the future. She inspires, encourages, and equips others to look at life through the lenses of hope, trust, and God’s transforming grace. Jessica lives in rural Iowa surrounded by wide open spaces which remind her of God’s expansive love. She loves fun earrings, good coffee, and connecting with others.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson
Great message love the S.T.O.P. acrostic.
I gleaned so much from this episode. Thank you Michelle and Jessica. I’ve come to know that if I face rejection it is God redirecting me. This was such a treasure for me to have heard.
Thank you so much for sharing this with Sweet Tea & Friends this month sweet friend.