As a neuropsychologist, I know the power of our mind, the power of our thoughts. Have you ever wondered how to deal with fear effectively? If you have ever battled your thoughts, and felt like you couldn’t win, then this is the perfect show for you. We talk about training our mind to conquer challenges, defeat doubt, and live victoriously.
In this episode, my friend, Kelly Balarie, and I talk about what it means to be battle ready. Her book by the same title is one that helps us proactively prepare to fight back against doubt, disbelief, and uncertainty and how to deal with fear in order to live from a stance of determination, resiliency, and faith to be all that God has called us to be. Kelly offers us tangible suggestions of ways to take heart and keep our minds focused on His truth for victorious living.
Kelly and I talk about how we fight any good fight, first in our mind, because what is in our mind will come out in our actions. When we continue to believe a lie, we really hurt ourselves. Kelly shares how she learned through her difficulties how to deal with fear by changing her thoughts. She explains what it means to be battle ready. She also gives several tips about how to do that, like what it means to adopt a buffet mindset, or how to take a mind vacation.
There’s a Book Giveaway so be sure to read to the end!
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- We fight any good battle first in our mind.
- We can either try to do things on our own, or we can find life through God. Advancement really comes when we get to the place where we admit that we can’t do it ourselves and we need God.
- Our mess is our message, and God meets us in our mess.
- When the trials come, we need to keep our thoughts fixed on heaven, on Jesus, and how we have the mind of Christ. Our thoughts are where the battles are won and lost.
- We need God’s fresh insight in our thoughts!
- Faith is a gift from God. It comes from Him, and we don’t have to try to conjure it up or strive to make it happen.
- We have to preach to ourselves. We have to speak the word of God to our situation and over ourselves. Personalize scripture to remind yourself things like God says you are holy, righteous, more than a conqueror, and victorious in Christ Jesus. Just like the Socrates method of teaching, if you teach what you have learned, you hold onto it better.
- For Scripture that we don’t understand, all we have to do is ask God to teach us His word, and for the Holy Spirit to reveal the word to our lives.
- For some, after going through trials or traumas, it can be easy to have a victim mindset. But the truth is we are victorious because of Christ. Jesus died, but because He was raised again, He defeated everything we would face and the enemy’s power over us. We are set free by His love.
- Our job is to get our mind on the same page as God’s word. It is very powerful when our mind gets in line with the mind of Christ.
- Out of God’s abundance, He offers us the opportunity to have a “buffet mindset.” He gives lavishly and we never have to worry that He will run out without us getting our fill. The abundant nature of God gives us everything we need, so we don’t need to hoard, or store up, or compete with others.
- Taking a “mind vacation” can allow us time to ask God for His perspective. A time distance can give us greater ability to see things more objectively. Sometimes we need to create space from our incidents or blow up moments and what God would have us do. Because of that distance, we can give ourselves time and a fresh ability to interpret a situation. The mind vacation frees us up from being too heavily critical of ourselves and adopting a more Godly perspective of our situation.
- There is freedom in knowing we don’t have to be perfect to be accepted and loved by God. Our greatest advances will come not be defending ourselves but by laying it down and receiving God’s perspective.
- 2 Corinthians 10:5, “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”
- Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- “Battle Ready: Train Your Mind to Conquer Challenges, Defeat Doubt, and Live Victoriously” by Kelly Balarie
- “Fear Fighting: Awakening Courage to Overcome Your Fears” by Kelly Balarie
- How to Fight Fearful Thoughts and Win
- How to Effectively Fight Fearful Thoughts
- Ask Dr. B: How To Combat Fearful Thoughts
- How To Control Worry, Fear, and Anxiety to Keep Your Peace
- Fear or Faith: You Choose
- 40 Scriptures that Combat Worry, Fear, Anxiety and Panic
- 5 Truths to Defeat Fear
- Hope Prevails: Insights From a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award.
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award.
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
To connect with Kelly Balarie:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Hope Prevails / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Guest: Kelly Balarie, Author
Kelly is a passionate national speaker who has spent nearly ten years leading groups of women in spiritual growth, marriage building, and general Bible studies across the nation. Kelly’s faith was built as she battled through a debilitating eating disorder, depression, multiple sclerosis testing and concerns, company failures, family deaths, job losses, and times without income or money. Kelly is a fighter, an intercessor and a believer that God’s truth really does change lives. She loves encouraging other women who need a fresh drink of God’s grace and restoration.
You can fight fear and win. Leave a comment below sharing with us one way you learned to train your mind to conquer challenges, defeat doubt, and live victoriously and you will be entered into a drawing to win one copy of Kelly’s book, “Battle Ready: Train Your Mind to Conquer Challenges, Defeat Doubt, and Live Victoriously.” You could also share this blog post on Facebook or Twitter then comment here to tell us where you shared it and you’ll also be entered into the drawing. The winner will be selected at random and announced next Friday, August 16th, here on this post. Continental United States only.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson
By memorize scripture
Noelle, memorizing scripture is a wonderful way to deal with fear, worry, doubt, disappointment, or anything else we face in this life.
Since i dealt with fear for over 40 years, this message had great interest and significance for me. So much of what you and Kelly shared I have truly walked through in my life and I did gain freedom. I am excited for as many as can to listen to this program and to truly take to heart what has been shared for they will gain the victory over fear. I did share this on FB already and even through private message with several friends I know are dealing with their thought life and fear. Thank you both for sharing this very important and strategic message for our world problems today. Fear is rampant, wrong thoughts and actions are rampant and people lives are in chaos because of fear, anxiety and worry, wrong thoughts and actions.
Karen, fear is one of the enemy’s most effective tools. But that is not our portion…peace is. I’m glad you’re no longer listening to the enemy’s lies. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much for this wonderful resource!!
Thanks for linking up @LiveLifeWell!
I have been dealing with fear for a long time and learning to deal with fear effectively is so important to me. Thank you for this message!! And thank you for linking up @worthbeyondrubies
Shared your post!
Diane, I pray this message blesses you. I have a new book coming out that may bless you as well, “Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises.”
Thank you so much for visiting NanaHood.com and linking up! I think this is a great resource!
I hope you find it helpful! Feel free to check out the rest of our site…we have many valuable resources.
Thank you Kelly and Michelle for posting this! Our minds are such a funny thing. I have had to do a lot of “mind training” while running marathons and I see the same kind of thing happening in my 9-year-old grandson who is on a Junior Ninja Warrior competition team. You don’t have to be the biggest or the strongest or the fastest, but you do have to be determined in your mind. Kind of like the turtle or the ant I guess. God puts examples in nature for us to emulate.
Isaiah 41:10 is one of my favorite passages of Scripture! 🙂
Thanks for linking up at InstaEncouragements!
Patsy, what great examples you have given us. I think half the battle is persistence. If we will just keep running the race He has set before us! Thanks for stopping by.
Many times I just need to ask the Lord to “take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ”. I also love the Scripture “I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.”❤️
I’ve really had to replace the lies in my head with the Truth of God’s Word. I write out Scriptures and commit them to memory so when the lies come up I can choose to believe differently. It’s not always easy, and I don’t always win, but I keep believing this is a battle God has already won.
Blessings to you and Kelly, Michelle.
Marva – SunSparkleShine