Have you ever lost your joy? When the struggles of this world drain us dry and wring us out, our desert mentality becomes fertile ground for the enemy’s lies to grow. We place our trust in what we see and feel instead of in the God we know and love.
The enemy may threaten to steal our joy—but the truth is, he can’t crack the code. God has infused us with his joy, his spirit, and his love; we are filled with his joy that cannot be emptied out. Today we are going to be talking about how we lose our joy and how to find joy in life again.
Doris also invites you to discover more about finding joy in How to Find Joy in the Lord Even during Difficult Seasons.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the episode:
- Our joy can be constant regardless of circumstances and difficult seasons in our lives.
- Jesus gave us His joy, and His promises are true.
- The existence of our joy is not dependent on our feelings, circumstances, or lies the enemy whispers in our ears.
- Joy is a supernatural gift from God—it’s a fruit of the Spirit and it is ours to freely receive through Christ.
- Idols in our lives threaten our joy but we may not recognize them.
- When we put things first in our lives, instead of putting God first, they become idols.
- Although it may seem at times our joy is lost, our joy cannot be stolen. When we are in Christ, we have His joy in us.
- Surrender is turning over control and the outcome to God. This leads to peace.
- To walk in joy, we have to first remember the source of joy.
- Intentionally seek God throughout the day, and write down at least 3 joyful thoughts or observances (for example, breathing fresh air, remembering who we are in Christ, the joy of the Lord is our strength)
- Jesus gave me joy so it’s full and overflowing.
- John 15:11 (ESV) “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.”
- Isaiah 41:10 (ESV) “fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
- Psalm 16:11 (ESV) “You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Surrender the Joy Stealers: Rediscover the Jesus Joy in You by Doris Swift
- The Hem of His Garment: Reaching Out To God When Pain Overwhelms by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion 5-Day Devotional Reaching Out To God When Pain Overwhelms
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the AWSA 2023 Inspirational Gift Book of the Year Award, the Christian Literary Awards Reader’s Choice Award in four categories, and the Christian Literary Awards Henri Award for Devotionals
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Doris Swift:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book The Hem of His Garment / Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Doris Swift is an author, speaker, founder of Fierce Calling Ministries, and host of the award-winning Fierce Calling podcast. In ministry for over thirty years, she is passionate about equipping women to dig deeper into God’s word, take action where their passion, compassion, and conviction intersect, and walk boldly in their calling and purpose. Her new Bible study, Surrender the Joy Stealers: Rediscover the Jesus Joy in You, a six-week Bible study rooted in John 15, is available at dorisswift.com.
She currently resides in Central Florida with her husband and best friend, Brian, is mom to an amazing son and daughter-in-love, and daughter and son-in-love, and is Gammy to six awesome grandkids. She loves Jesus with all her heart and deeply desires others to know and love him too.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson