Most Bible-believers are not Bible-readers. Many Christians believe that the Bible is the Word of God, but never actually read it. Or they may read bits and pieces, one verse or passage at a time but struggle to apply it to their lives. There are so many reasons why this is true, but it is possible to start today. Even if a person has never read a complete chapter for themselves, God’s Word is readable and do-able. Join me with Wendy Speake for how to love God’s word.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Most Bible-believers are not Bible-readers. There are so many reasons why this is true, but it is possible to start today.
- Even if a person has never read a complete chapter for themselves, God’s Word is readable and do-able.
- Culture offers up quick fixes that leave us unsatisfied and still hungry for fulfillment. God’s word fills us up, but creates a thirst for more of Him.
- Don’t mistake reading God’s Word for Studying God’s Word. They are not the same.
- As you begin your quiet time each day, do you come hungry to hear from the Lord?
- God is not confusing or far off — He is near and abiding. And His Word is living and active… and applicable too!
- Most of us spend our days shoving food and other fillers into the hurts and holes of our lives. But nothing works to make us whole (or holy) other than our Bibles.
- Pinpointing what it is we are turning to, in lieu of turning to God in the pages of His Word, can help us to lay that thing down for a short season and turn instead to the only thing that can satisfy and sanctify us!
- Pinpointing and laying down all of the false-fillers is a lot like laying down false-idols. And once the throne is vacant it is a JOY to invite the rightful King to take His place.
- I’ve also become aware that all the scrolling and eating and movie watching and shopping can all fall under the umbrella of consuming… ingesting… gobbling… eating. And I know that the more I ingest things that won’t ever satisfy the less I turn to God’s Word — the only thing that can!
- I want to hunger and thirst for God and His righteousness and His Word more than anything else! First and foremost every day! But the other stuff gets in the way.
- No book has ever been written, nor ever will be, that holds the power to sway a human heart toward the Word of God more than the Bible itself.
- Pinpoint what it is you turn to when you are worn out or overwhelmed, then lay it down and pick up your Bible. In Matthew 11:28 Jesus extended this invitation, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
- When we stop pushing all the stuff into our lives and bring Him back into the center of our lives… he gives us His rest and His joy and a very real sense of His loving nearness!
- “We are not powerless to change when we hold a Bible in our hands, for that Bible holds the power to change us.”
- The book will come to an end, but the Word of God never ends. It is the only thing able to satisfy hungry hearts.
- Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
- Psalm 119:103 How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
- Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- 7-Day Today is Going to be a Good Day Challenge
- Help for When You’re Feeling Blue Webinar
- Online Hope Prevails Bible Study
- Wendy will be leading an online community through The 40 Day Feast during Lent 2023, which starts on February 22nd. You can find out more and sign up at wendyspeake.com/feast
- The 40-Day Feast: Taste and See the Goodness of God’s Word by Wendy Speake
- The 40-Day Sugar Fast by Wendy Speake
- The 40-Day Social Media Fast by Wendy Speake
- The 40-Day Fast Journal: A Journey to Spiritual Transformation by Wendy Speake
- Triggers: Exchanging Parents’ Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses by Wendy Speake
- Parenting Scripts: When What You’re Saying Isn’t Working, Say Something New by Wendy Speake
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Wendy Speake:
Wendy Speake is author and host of The 40-Day Sugar Fast, The 40-Day Social Media Fast, along with the companion resource, The 40-Day Fast Journal: A Journey to Spiritual Transformation. Her newest book,The 40-Day Feast: Taste and See the Goodness of God’s Word, invites readers to get hungry for God’s Word then equips them to taste and see how good it is. Wendy is also co-author of the popular parenting books, Triggers: Exchanging Parents’ Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses and Parenting Scripts: When What You’re Saying Isn’t Working, Say Something New.