In this episode, we talk with a guest who found herself in one of the worst situations a parent could face. Her son had been arrested, charged with murder, and incarcerated. Shonda Whitworth shares how she learned to pray for an incarcerated son and how you can too. She discovered how to maintain her hope and continue to pray even when it seemed God wasn’t answering.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- In the courtroom of heaven, God is the judge, Jesus is our advocate and represents us, and Satan is our accuser.
- Limiting negative thoughts come from our accuser, who uses us to God “day and night.”
- Satan is the prosecutor in the courtroom of Heaven, accusing us day and night to God, our judge.
- As we enter the courtroom of heaven, we repent for our thoughts and actions, Jesus covers us with His shed blood, God forgives us and washes away the charges against us, and the accuser has been silenced.
- There’s only one advocate who is able to come to our defense in the courtroom of Heaven: Jesus.
- Jesus couldn’t do miracles in His own hometown because of the disbelief there. We must pray, believing.
- Freedom is a person, not a location.
- Romans 8:1 TPT “So now the case is closed. There remains no accusing voice of condemnation against those who are joined in life-union with Jesus, the Anointed One.”
- Hebrews 4:16 TPT “So now we draw near freely and boldly to where grace is enthroned, to receive mercy’s kiss and discover the grace we urgently need to strengthen us in our time of weakness.”
- Luke 18:1 TPT “One day Jesus taught the apostles to keep praying and never stop or lose hope.”
- Luke 18:8 TPT “God will give swift justice to those who don’t give up. So be ever praying, ever expecting, in the same way as the widow. Even so, when the Son of Man comes back, will he find this kind of undying faith on earth?”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Appeal to the Courtroom of Heaven: Petitions for Prisoners and Prison Families by Shonda Whitworth
- Life as a Mother of a Convicted Felon: From Shattered Hope to Confident
- Hope for Parents of Incarcerated Children
- Operating in the Courts of Heaven: granting God the Legal Rights to Fulfill His Passion and Answer Our Prayers by Robert Henderson
- Assessing the Courts of Heaven: Positioning Yourself for Breakthrough and Answered Prayers by Robert Henderson
- Receiving Healing from the Courts of Heaven: Removing Hindrances that Delay or Deny Healing by Robert Henderson
- Unlocking Destinies From the Courts of Heaven: Dissolving Curses that Delay and Deny Our Future by Robert Henderson
- Shadowboxing: The Dynamic 2-5-14 Strategy to Defeat the Darkness Within by Dr. Henry Malone
- From the Courtroom of Heaven to the Throne of Grace and Mercy by Jeanette Strauss with the companion prayer guide
- A free downloadable PDF of 8 Prayers to Pray for Your Incarcerated Loved One is available at FortressofHopeMinistries.com
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
About Shonda Whitworth:
Shonda Whitworth writes, teaches, and speaks at conferences and retreats to share the hope of healing and restoration we have in Jesus. After her son landed in state prison, she realized the hardships families of prisoners encounter. She and her husband, Eldon, founded Fortress of Hope Ministries, a nonprofit organization that offers hope to families affected by incarceration. Shonda transparently shares her testimony of living with a son in prison at ShondaWhitworth.com and FortressofHopeMinistries.com.
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Shonda Whitworth:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson