In the past month or so, we’ve been focused on conversations around the types of pain that I wrote about in The Hem of His Garment: Reaching Out to God When Pain Overwhelms. No conversation regarding the pain we experience in this life is complete without a discussion about grief and loss.
Susan Duke and I talk about recovery from grief. Susan shares how she learned to grieve forward by taking small, practical steps to face and process her grief, while refusing to allow loss to keep her from embracing life. You can grieve and embrace life simultaneously.
Be sure and read to the end for a book giveaway!
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the episode:
- Grieving forward gives us the permission to continue living life while grieving.
- In grief, you never get to the point in grief that you fully arrive, but you move forward.
- You can grieve and embrace life simultaneously.
- You don’t ever truly get over grief—you get through it with God’s help.
- We are not human beings living in a spiritual world, we are spiritual beings living in a human world.
- Love is the invisible bridge between heaven and earth.
- Matthew 5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”
- Revelation 21:4 “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Grieving Forward: Embracing Life Beyond Loss by Susan Duke
- The Hem of His Garment: Reaching Out To God When Pain Overwhelms by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion 5-Day Devotional Reaching Out To God When Pain Overwhelms
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the AWSA 2023 Inspirational Gift Book of the Year Award, the Christian Literary Awards Reader’s Choice Award in four categories, and the Christian Literary Awards Henri Award for Devotionals
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Susan Duke:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book The Hem of His Garment / Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
When Susan Duke’s teenage son was tragically killed, she found herself staggering through the painfully dark and unfamiliar valley of grief. As she faced the most profound challenge of her life, there were moments Susan questioned everything she’d ever believed—even her faith.
Through enormous struggle and determination, Susan eventually found the pathway out of the “valley of the shadow” of grief. By GRIEVING FORWARD —taking small, practical steps to face and process her grief, and by refusing to allow loss to keep her from embracing life—Susan experienced God’s healing and restoration. As a survivor of unspeakable grief, her life is the evidence that there is life and purpose beyond loss.
In this deeply personal and compassionate guide, Susan candidly shares the insights she’s learned on her journey toward healing. “It’s hard to see God’s perspective when your heart has been plowed by pain,” she writes. “But broken fields are where seeds of hope grow best.” Though she still copes with loss, Susan also lives with incredible joy. To all who grieve desperately, she assures: Hope is alive. Healing will triumph. Here’s how.
In conjunction with this post and the podcast interview, Susan is giving away a free copy of her book, Grieving Forward: Embracing Life Beyond Loss.
Leave a comment below sharing with us one thing you learned about embracing life while recovering from grief and you will be entered into the contest for your chance to win a copy of her book.
You could also share this blog post on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter then comment here to tell us where you shared it and you’ll also be entered into the drawing.
The winner will be selected at random and announced next Friday, September 14, 2023. Continental United States only.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson