We’ve spent the last couple of weeks discussing worry, fear, and anxiety in part to celebrate the release of my new book, “Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises” which is now available at retailers near you and online. If you didn’t get to listen to either of the two previous week’s episode, I would encourage you to go back and listen to Episode 23 and Episode 24 because we had a great discussion about what exactly is worry, fear, and anxiety, where do they come from, what role trust in God plays, and how we increase our trust in Him.
Today we really want to focus on what we can do about anxiety. Too many books tell you not to worry or not to be anxious, but they don’t tell you how. Today I want to talk about how we fight against worry, fear, and anxiety.
Perfectionism is rooted in anxiety.
Stress is mostly a self-inflicted wound. We put unrealistic expectations on ourselves that even God doesn’t put on ourselves. We worry, stress, and try to problem solve about every possible eventuality, which robs us of our peace and joy in the moment, and we can never get that moment back. Now it’s not always a self-inflicted wound. But our response to difficult situations inflicts the greatest stress.
Even in the most unfortunate situations, we can choose to trust God through it. It’s a matter of taking every thought captive.
We have to overcome worry, fear, and anxiety by seeing it as the battle it is. John 10:10 says that “The thief comes only to steal, and kill, and destroy…” That thief comes to steal our joy and kill our peace.
2 Timothy 1:7 tells us “For God hath not given you the spirit of fear, but of power, love, and of sound mind.” So, God is showing us that worry, fear, and anxiety are rooted in the spirit of fear. Our enemy brings that on us. But He’s also showing us that He has given us the weapons of power (the same power that raised Christ from the dead), Love (perfect love that casts out fear), and a sound mind (the mind of Christ) to fight the battle against worry, fear, and anxiety.
We are given power through the Name of Jesus, through the Word of God, through the Cross, through Jesus’s blood, and so much more.
God’s love is another powerful weapon. The enemy doesn’t have access to God’s love. God’s love is good and trustworthy.
As Christ followers, we have been given a sound mind because we have been given the mind of Christ. The same mind that fought the enemy in the wilderness. We have access to the Holy Spirit whose job it is to remind us of all truth.
If you’ve accepted Christ as your savior, you have a new bloodline.
Peace is not a thing; peace is a person.
We long for peace, but peace can always be with us because God is peace and He is always with us.
- Recognize that worry, fear, and anxiety exist. We cannot battle what we don’t know exists.
- Recognize that those negative thoughts aren’t yours.
- Keep in mind that our emotions are the outward manifestation of the thoughts we believe.
- There are no more powerful prayers than scripture prayers.
Listen at GraceandTruthRadio.world:
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Stress is mostly a self-inflicted wound.
- Peace is not a thing; Peace is a person.
- Recognize that worry, fear, and anxiety exist. We cannot battle what we don’t know exists
- Recognize that those negative thoughts aren’t yours
- Keep in mind that our emotions are the outward manifestation of the thoughts we believe
- There are no more powerful prayers than scripture prayers.
- If you’ve accepted Christ as your savior, you have a new bloodline
- Our feelings are the outward manifestations of the thoughts we believe.
- John 14:27 “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.”
- John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; but I have come that they might have life and have it to the full.”
- 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God hath not given you the spirit of fear, but of power, love, and of sound mind.”
- John 16:33 “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- “Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises” by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- “Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression” by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- “Hope Prevails Bible Study” by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- 6 Tips for Coping with the Fear of Success
- How to Cope with Fear of Change
- A Resource for Dealing with Worry, Fear, and Anxiety
- Fighting the Giants of Worry, Fear, and Anxiety
- Coping With Panic Attacks
- God and Anxiety: God’s Answer to Moses is the Same for Today
- Beating Anxiety: The Thief of Peace
- Your Rx: 40 Scriptures that Combat Worry, Fear, Anxiety and Panic
Social Media Links for Host:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Hope Prevails / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
About Dr. Michelle Bengtson:
Dr. Bengtson studied neuroscience and is board certified in clinical neuropsychology. She established her own clinical practice in the Dallas area. From her professional and personal life, she recognized a deep lack of understanding of the call to “renew our minds” and the transformational effects a robust understanding of this has on our physical and mental health and outlook.
Dr. Bengtson lives to foster regeneration and renew life in her listeners. She recognizes brokenness in her life and others’ and offers steps we can take as we walk with Christ through the thin places.
Dr. Bengtson authored the award-winning “Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression” and its award-winning companion “Hope Prevails Bible Study.” Her third book, “Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises” released on September 17, 2019 (Revell). She blogs at DrMichelleB.com. She is a frequent guest on Fox News Radio and speaks at conferences and churches internationally.
Radio Air Date: October 2, 2019
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson
This is great! Thanks for sharing this. You do important work, Michelle. May God bless you as you bless others!
Dr.Michelle, just watched your you tube video of this episode. Oh my, you bring both of the other episodes in this series to an amazing clear and concise culmination of truths, scripture and are so encouraging of how to reclaim God’s peace. You give so much hope in being able to leave worry, fear and anxiety behind and live in God’s peace no matter what is happening in our lives. Thank you for this powerful series which stands alone even without your book but when joined with Breaking Anxiety’s Grip, it is such a powerful teaching. I choose to enjoy this message and apply to my life and also to share with others. God bless you, my friend, for your faithfulness to the Lord to share His message of HOPE and HEALING with the world.
Such great resources here, Michelle! Peace is a Person… yes and Amen! So grateful for His perfect peace… Stopping by from #faithonfire
This is a timely message. There is so much pressure to achieve, expectations we make of ourselves. You point to a way of peace and rest.
Thank you Michelle! This is a great post.
Pinned & tweeted.
Thanks for linking up at InstaEncouragements!