Have you ever hit rock bottom in your life? Perhaps received a life-threatening diagnosis? Or lost the one person who kept your feet on solid ground? How do you carry joy and sorrow in the same breath? How do we handle the rock bottom experiences in life? Today we’re going to be talking about how to handle life’s rock bottom experiences.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Home is where we are together, but God’s word is a home that can’t be taken from us.
- We can’t live off old manna.
- Rock bottom is that place where we feel out of faith, and yet we discover that God is faithful.
- When we endure trauma, it’s like a bear that is no longer chasing you, but it feels like it is.
- God’s not afraid of our questions.
- One third of the Psalms are lament, which is getting honest with God about what’s hard, and opening the door to let the comforter come in.
- Grieving is an internal process, where mourning is a public display of loss.
- Mourning entails risk because we open our lives to others who may or may not handle our pain well.
- Prayer positions us in a place where God can bring healing.
- Matthew 27:46, CEV “Then about that time Jesus shouted, ‘Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?’ which means, ‘My God, my God, why have you deserted me?’”
- Isaiah 60:20, ESV “Your sun shall no more go down, nor your moon withdraw itself; for the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your days of mourning shall be ended.”
- Isaiah 54:10, NIV “Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Dark Clouds and Deep Mercy by Mark Vroegrp
- When Mountains Crumble by Danita Jenae
- Sign up for her email list to receive “How To Help Your Grieving Friend,” “Calming Prayers for Troubled Times,” and “The Grief Relief Guide.”
- How To Navigate Grief and Loss
- How To Deal with Grief and Maintain our Hope – Episode 153
- How To Hang On to Threadbare Hope – Episode 156
- When Circumstances are Too Much to Handle
- How To Find Hope in the Midst of Grief – Episode 70
- Help for the Grief-Stricken: 3 Anchors that Held Me in Grief
- Hope for the Grieving Parent: How to Help a Grieving Friend – Episode 3
- How To Help a Grieving Friend
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Danita Jenae:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Danita Jenae is a young mom and recent military widow learning to carry both joy and sorrow in the same breath. As an author, speaker, poet, and artist, she walks alongside the broken-hearted, offering practical and creative ways to lead a Spirit-led life at danitajenae.com and @CompanionInSorrow. To help you find your way in sorrow, Danita invites you to grab your free copy of her Find Your Footing Grief Guide at WhenMountainsCrumble.com.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson