In this episode, we talk about moving from brokenness to wholeness, and maintaining our hope in God. A misguided search for love & acceptance lured Maureen Hager into the life of an outlaw motorcycle gang. Caught up in a violent gang war, she sustained two gunshot wounds from M16 rifles. While severely wounded, this act of violence was the turning point God used to give her a restored life in Him.
Maureen Hager shares more of how God intervened when she was facing these devastating circumstances here: Former Biker Chick Meets the God of Hope
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- When we’ve had a wounding to our heart, we will seek acceptance from whomever will fill it.
- It’s a universal search we all have: looking for love. But there is only one true source that will satisfy.
- So often people stay in unhealthy environments and relationships because they feel trapped.
- I had no idea of the journey ahead, all I know looking back is that that bullet was my escape from that gang. God saved my life.
- Often circumstances we find ourselves in is an opportunity for God to reach into that pit and pull us up to higher ground.
- If you end up in the hospital, you need an advocate!
- When you feel alone, it’s easy to believe the lie that God has abandoned you.
- The biggest lesson I learned was that God did love me, and my hardened heart started to melt.
- In our places of desperation that is when we become most willing to listen to God.
- I experienced the God of hope and that made all the difference in my life.
- When I sought out the gang, I was looking for love and acceptance but never found it, but when I began going to church I learned what true love was.
- What the enemy intended to harm me, God has used for my good.
- God is waiting for you to come to Him. He loves you. The extent of His love for us is unfathomable. Accepting that He does love us makes all the difference.
- You are never too broken for God to heal you. Scripture says Jesus was broken for you and for me. If we were not broken human beings, we would never have needed a Savior. Jesus came because we are broken.
- Your past does not define you.
- Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, behold, all things have become new.
- Revelation 12:11a And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony.
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Love’s Bullet: A Wounded Victim in a Biker Gang War Transformed by God’s Love by Maureen Hager
- Healing the Soul of a Woman by Joyce Meyer
- God Loves Broken People by Sheila Walsh
- The Heartache No One Sees by Sheila Walsh
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Guest and Host:
To connect with Maureen Hager:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
A misguided search for love & acceptance lured Maureen Hager into the life of an outlaw motorcycle gang. Caught up in a violent gang war, she sustained two gunshot wounds from M16 rifles. While severely wounded, this act of violence was the turning point God used to give her a restored life in Him. Today she lives in western NC with her husband. They enjoy spending time with their two grown daughters and their grandchildren.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson