Nancy Kay Grace and I talk about how to overcome low self-esteem with audacious grace that sustains us. Nancy shares how a song at church completely changed her life when she truly learned she was a new creation in Christ. We talk about where low self-esteem comes from and how we can overcome and combat it by taking our thoughts captive. By the grace of God, we can overcome.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode for Overcoming Low Self-Esteem:
- In studying grace, I see that God provides salvation through grace but also grace for daily life.
- Grace sustains us in all the seasons of life. We are then to be grace givers to share grace with the hurting world.
- Part of overcoming low self-esteem is learning to rest in His refuge of his love and peace.
- It’s a gift when we accept God’s gift of peace and realize no matter what, God is with us.
- I determined to use my faltering tongue to speak for God.
- Low self-esteem is often the result of comparison, the performance trap, perfectionism, and people pleasing.
- God accepts me as I am, and I can become a new creation.
- All grace starts with God. He makes himself known to us. He gave us the ultimate gift of grace in Jesus Christ.
- Hope in God is a secure foundation in ever-changing life situations.
- When I struggle with depression, I have to recall God’s promises of hope and what his word says about my worth.
- To combat low self-esteem, we need to change our view of ourselves for God’s view of us.
- Learn God’s word so that you can replace negative thinking with God’s truth. It’s not easy, but through grace, God will help us take our thoughts captive.
Scripture References on Overcoming Low Self-Esteem:
- 2 Corinthians 9:8 (NKJV) “God is able to make all grace abound to you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things at all times, may have an abundance for every good work.”
- Psalm 42:5,11 (NIV) “Why, my soul, are you so downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put you hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”
- Psalm 139:14 (NIV) “I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
- John 14:27 (NIV) “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- The Grace Impact by Nancy Kay Grace
- The Search for Significance by Robert McGee
- Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive and Thrive Virtual Women’s Conference
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 2
- 10 Minute Turnaround Courses: 10 Minutes a Day Unlocks the Secrets to Change Your Life
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- How To Help a Depressed Loved One free eBook
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Nancy Kay Grace:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Nancy Kay Grace enjoys sharing coffee and conversation. She is a Bible teacher, speaker, and award-winning author of The Grace Impact, a devotional about God’s grace in our lives. Nancy is married to her favorite pastor, and is enjoying the stage of life with two married children and six precious grandchildren. For relaxation, Nancy loves hugs from grandchildren, playing piano, and hiking. Nancy’s blog and GraceNotes newsletter signup are found at www.nancykaygrace.com.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson