We talk about how a mentor can change your life and even help you overcome loneliness. My guest, author and speaker Jayme Hull, shares how her life was changed when she accepted Christ because her church assigned a mentor to her that walked with her and pointed her to Christ. She also shares about her experiences both as a mentee and a mentor and how a mentoring relationship can positively impact your life.
Jamie shares more in how to begin a mentoring relationship here: How To Begin Your Mentoring Relationship and Never Be Alone Again
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Knowing you need help growing in your faith is the beginning of mentoring.
- A mentor is simply someone who is just a little further along in their Christian walk and is still growing and able to point you to Christ.
- A mentoring relationship discusses how God is showing up in your lives.
- A good mentor is a good listener, encourager, teachable, approachable, and always moving forward and growing.
- Loneliness is what the enemy desires for us. But mentoring can help us overcome loneliness.
- In the absence of a mentor, the Bible tells us that David encouraged himself in the Lord.
- Psalm 78:4,6-7 NIV “We will not hide these truths from our children; we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the Lord, about his power and his mighty wonders…so the next generation might know them—even the children not yet born—and they in turn will teach their own children. So each generation should set its hope anew on God, not forgetting his glorious miracles and obeying his commands.”
- Titus 2:1-8 NIV “As for you, Titus, promote the kind of living that reflects wholesome teaching. Teach the older men to exercise self-control, to be worthy of respect, and to live wisely. They must have sound faith and be filled with love and patience. Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God. In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely. And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching. Teach the truth so that your teaching can’t be criticized. Then those who oppose us will be ashamed and have nothing bad to say about us.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:24 “God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful.”
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 NIV “Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Face To Face: Discover How Mentoring Can Change Your Life by Jayme Hull
- Side By Side: 8 Conversations To Build Your Confidence In Christ by Jayme Hull
- Jayme’s online course: How To Become the Mentor Millennials Want and Need
- Face To Face Mentoring Podcast: Hear interviews with others who are walking with the Lord and whose lives were impacted by a mentoring relationship.
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive and Thrive Virtual Women’s Conference
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 2
- 10 Minute Turnaround Courses: 10 Minutes a Day Unlocks the Secrets to Change Your Life
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- How To Help a Depressed Loved One free eBook
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Jayme Hull:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
JAYME HULL is a speaker and author of Face To Face: Discover How Mentoring Can Change Your Life with Moody Publishers and Side By Side: 8 Conversations To Build Your confidence In Christ, An 8-Week Bible Study to encourage women to stop avoiding the tough conversations and begin talking with the God of hope. She is also the host of Face to Face Mentoring Podcast. Jayme is a graduate of New York University and Certified Spiritual Direction Coach with the Blackaby Ministries International. She has spent a lifetime mentoring and training hundreds of Christian women to connect with God and others through a mentoring relationship. Her passion is to encourage others to invest in the next generation and make a positive difference in today’s culture. Jayme and her husband call the Nashville area their home and have three married children and 6 happy grandkids.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson