As a board certified clinical neuropsychologist, I can say with a fair degree of confidence that probably everyone can relate to experiencing shame and disappointment. We’ve all had high hopes and expectations that didn’t turn out the way we wanted, and we’ve all experienced shame over what we’ve done or said, or failed to do, or because we haven’t met our own or others’ expectations for us. In this episode, we are talking with guest counselor and coach Tina Yeager about hope for overcoming discouragement or shame.
Tina also shared encouragement for those struggling in silence with shame and discouragement, significance and identity issues in this article: Struggling in Silence with Shame and Discouragement
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- It is the enemy of our soul who seeks to get us to isolate ourselves when we are not meant to be isolated.
- I thought that if I starved myself, I would become acceptable to those around me.
- My self-esteem improved when I really came to realize that it was God who made me loveable, and He made me worthy.
- God created each of us to fulfill a specific purpose.
- God’s standard for success is our obedience, while it’s the world who says that to be successful we have to look or behave in a certain way or accomplish certain things.
- Self-esteem and shame often result from our negative self-talk, especially when we exaggerate our failures by saying “I always…” or “I never…”
- Self-esteem and shame often result from the fear of “not being enough.” But God says He has made us enough.
- Knowing something is a lie really comes back to knowing what the truth is.
- Comparison often breeds shame, discouragement, and low self-esteem and is rooted in comparing our worst day to someone else’s best day.
- Ephesians 2:10, NIV “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
- Philippians 1:6, NIV “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion.”
- 1 Thessalonians 2:13-14, NIV “From the beginning God chose you to be saved. . . that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
- 1 Corinthians 12:27, NIV “You are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.”
- Matthew 22:37-39, NIV “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Beautiful Warrior: Finding Victory over the Lies Formed Against You by Tina Yeager
- Hope for Body Image: How to Stop Comparing Yourself to Others
- Finding Freedom from Comparing Yourself to Others
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Guest and Host:
About Tina Yeager:
Award-winning author, speaker, licensed counselor, and life coach, Tina hosts the Flourish-Meant podcast and publishes Inkspirations Online, a devotional for writers.
Yeager also serves on the Christian Authors Network board, as a mentor with Word Weavers International, and as an active member of AWSA.
Come visit her for a virtual cup of java online at tinayeager.com. Beautiful Warrior: Finding Victory over the Lies Formed Against You helps women identify and fulfill their potential as they discover Christ-centered significance.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson