Most of us love the holidays, but the stress and chaos of the season can steal our joy and leave us exhausted. Holiday coach Marcia Ramsland shares how you can simplify during the holidays and relieve stress with these 6 tips to picking the perfect gift.
On a recent episode of Your Hope-Filled Perspective podcast, I had the joy and privilege of talking to Marcia about how to simplify our holidays. If you missed that episode, you can listen here [How To Get Organized and Simplify Your Holidays – Episode 134].
6 Tips to Picking the Perfect Gift
By Marcia Ramsland
Every year, especially at Christmas, but also for Valentine’s day, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, birthdays, and anniversaries, we feel the pressure of picking the “perfect gift.” We make our gift-giving list and check it twice, all the while stressing about whether or not it will be the “perfect gift. Instead of agonizing, let’s shop smarter today. Below are 5 tips to picking the perfect gift:
- Begin by Making Notes Throughout the Year. If you listen well, you’ll hear friends and loved ones mention things that they’d be pleased as punch to receive. Maybe a friend has mentioned the need for a new pair of gardening gloves. Or your mother commented on needing a new electric blanket. Has your spouse taken up a new hobby, and longs for some important piece? By listening throughout the year and making your list, you’ll have ideas long before the holiday buying season begins.
- Contact the people you don’t have a clue what to get. This could be text, email, instant message, or old fashioned phone call. The point is, asking them for a suggestion or Amazon wish list and link helps you ensure your purchase is the perfect gift in their eyes.
- Gather Your Ideas in One List. One complete gift list is KEY to relieving your stress about gifts. Consider using an Excel spreadsheet or word document that you can refer back to throughout the years to know what you’ve already given.
- Create Momentum by Wrapping the Gifts you already have. Seeing the pile of wrapped gifts growing is a great incentive to keep going until you’ve picked and wrapped each perfect gift.
- Stick to a Budget. Ellie Kay, America’s Family Financial Expert says, “You may be tempted to keep buying even after you’ve conquered your list. You can go broke saving money, so stick to your budget.”
- Practice the Wise Men’s “3 Gift Rule.” When you don’t know when to stop buying, even out the number of gifts per person or follow the Wise Men’s example of 3 gifts of gold, frankincense, and Myrrh for the Messiah. Then consider your gift shopping DONE! Celebrate by finishing wrapping with a gift for yourself: a cup of hot cocoa in front of the fire while reading a good book? Perhaps a Christmas movie? Or maybe a walk downtown in freshly fallen snow while looking at Christmas lights.
The most important thing you can do for the holidays is to be a calm, amazing YOU!
What tips do you have for picking the perfect gift? We’d love to hear in the comments below.
Marcia’s best selling holiday planning book, Simplify Your Holiday Season, includes 50 Gift Ideas, 10 Tips to save money on gifts, how to double up on your limited time, and how to enjoy the holiday season through New Year’s and relax while you do! You’ll be guaranteed to refer to this book set every year.
About Marcia Ramsland
Marcia Ramsland is well known as The Leading Online Organizing Coach, a Business Productivity Expert, and author of the Simplify Your Life: Get Organized and Stay that Way book series, which has sold over 100,000 copies. Marcia is a nationally recognized media guest appearing in Woman’s Day and Real Simple magazines, the Wall Street Journal, and Martha Stewart radio. Marcia believes anyone can become more organized – even you – with the Motivation, Momentum, and Mastery which she provides in her Online Courses and Fast Track Coaching!
For more information or a free consultation visit her website www.organizingpro.com.