In this week’s episode, I talk with BJ Garrett about recovering from trauma from sexual abuse and the mistakes in the past. She shares that no matter what you’ve done or what has been done to you, healing is available in Jesus Christ. Love changes everything.
BJ shares more about trauma recovery and the importance forgiveness plays in healing: The Importance of Forgiveness in Recovering from Trauma and Past Mistakes
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- If you have a secret burden, find a safe person to tell. A friend, a counselor, a pastor etc.
- If we allow our pain to turn into purpose, God will never waste it.
- God will take the ugliest of the ugly and make it beautiful.
- Forgiveness doesn’t mean reconciliation or saying that what someone did was okay, but that they no longer hold you emotionally hostage to their behavior.
- We forgive because we’ve been forgiven.
- We are commanded to forgive ourselves. When we don’t, it’s like telling Jesus that His death on the cross wasn’t good enough for us.
- When we allow God to turn our pain into purpose, the trauma triggers become less and less.
- Love changes everything.
- As long as Satan keeps you silenced, he remains in control.
- Telling the secret is the first step to releasing you from Satan’s bondage.
- I fail, I learn, I do better. I fail, I learn, I do better.
- No matter what you have done, no matter what has been done to you, there is hope and healing through Jesus Christ.
- Psalm 147:3 NIV He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
- Revelation 12:11a They triumphed over him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony.
- John 4:39 Many of the Samaritans from town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony.
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Unwanted No More by BJ Garrett
- Revive and Thrive Virtual Women’s Conference
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 2
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with BJ Garrett
Website / Facebook / Instagram
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
BJ Garrett is the award-winning author of Unwanted No More from Exploited to Embraced by God. BJ is an energetic speaker, passionate about telling her life story of overcoming a life full of abuse and bad decisions, loves serving on the mission field and serves as the Executive Director for Christ-centered Abortion Recovery & Education (CARE)
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson
Thank you for this episode. Praise God, for allowing you to share your story with others. To understand God can use my pain for his glory is such a blessing.
I absolutely love that when we speak out the enemy loses power. Thanks for sharing, B.J. Another great episode!