So often as parents we focus on raising our children but give little attention to preparing for life when they are no longer in our home. Today we’re going to be talking about reinventing yourself after the empty nest. Jill Savage is here to give us hope from her own experience.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode for Empty Nesters:
- Empty nesting is like experiencing grief upon grief…nothing prepares you for the tsunami of emotions.
- Think of the empty nest as your encore season.
- If we don’t let go of what was, we can’t hold on to the new.
- You’ll always be a mother or father, but you are no longer parenting them.
- Our expectations are preconceived resentments. The higher our expectations, the greater the risk of discontentment.
- It’s time to keep our opinions to ourselves and join the “keep it shut club” and pray it, don’t say it.
- When we let go of opinions, we become a safe place to be around.
- Your kids’ new life is not a rejection of you, it’s a reflection of their growth and independence, learning how to navigate adulthood.
- Sometimes we’ve made our kids’ successes/choices an idol in our heart.
- Worry is a worship of our circumstances.
- Motherhood is a ministry of availability.
- “What do you have for me, Lord? Help me to see that more than less.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Empty Nest, Full Life: Discovering God’s Best for Your Next by Jill Savage
- Brighter Skies Ahead: Forecasting a Full Life When You Empty the Nest by Terri DeBoer
- Rebuilding Trust Course
- The Wait Is Not Wasted Course
- No More Perfect Marriages by Mark and Jill Savage
- FREE Rebuilding Trust Guide
- Revive and Thrive Virtual Women’s Conference
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 2
- Subdue Stress and Anxiety: Fifteen Experts Offer Comprehensive Tools in Ten Minutes a Day. Use my link plus discount code BENG99 to save $90 on course (course will be $99.)
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Jill Savage:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Jill Savage is an author and speaker who is passionate about relationships. She has been called one of today’s most exciting female speakers. Her honest, engaging communication is strengthened by her ability to make her audience laugh while they learn.
Jill is the host of the No More Perfect Podcast and the author of fourteen books including Empty Nest, Full Life, Real Moms … Real Jesus, the best-selling No More Perfect Moms, No More Perfect Kids, Better Together, and No More Perfect Marriages. Jill and her husband, Mark, live in Illinois and have five children and eight grandchildren. You can find Jill online at www.jillsavage.org.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson