Life is busy. There always seems to be more to do than time to do it. We often miss the special moments because we rush through life. Resting allows us to savor those moments. If you struggle to rest effectively so that you can refill and refuel, this episode is for you! Marci Seither shares the art of how to rest effectively.
Marci shares more about intentionally resting during the holidays here: Putting REST in the Christmas Holiday RUSH
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- We often miss the special moments because we rush through life. Resting allows us to savor those moments.
- Resting is often about pacing and prioritizing…like the difference between sprinting versus running a marathon—those runners don’t start off at the same pace. We need to pace ourselves, with moments of rest so we can make it through the things that must be done.
- If we don’t take time to come to a full rest and refuel, we end up “bleeding out” on ourselves and those around us.
- Too often we reserve rest and relaxation for vacation because we feel guilty for resting. But God offers us rest as a gift.
- We need to give ourselves buffer in our lives to create margin, which reduces our stress when things don’t go as planned.
- We need rest, we deserve rest, and we will be more productive for taking time to rest.
- Rest is something God set as an example for us from the beginning. It isn’t something that we HAVE to do..it is something that refills and refuels us. When we don’t fully rest..it is like the lesson of the bell ringer.. that knows an unsilenced bell allows the sound to “bleed’.
- Don’t wait. Put it on the calendar. Take time and MAKE time to set apart a moment to rest. Rest and peace are often interchangeable. In a world so desperate for peace..set the pace in your own heart, with your own family. Whether it is at the cabin on a lake or on the back porch with a cup of your favorite tea or coffee. Take time to rest in the Lord today.
- Peace and patience go hand in hand.
- Psalm 62: 1-2 NIV “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.”
- Matthew 11:28-29 NIV “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give your rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
- John 14:27 NIV “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Lakeside Retreat: Life-Giving Devotions from a Restful Shore by Marci Seither
- Revive and Thrive Virtual Women’s Conference
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God Through Cancer Summit 2
- Subdue Stress and Anxiety: Fifteen Experts Offer Comprehensive Tools in Ten Minutes a Day. Use my link plus discount code BENG99 to save $90 on course (course will be $99.)
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
To connect with Marci Seither:
Website / Facebook / Instagram / LinkedIn / Pinterest
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Hope Prevails / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Marci Seither’s writing career began after her humor article was published in a small-town newspaper over twenty years ago. Since then, she has authored two books and hundreds of articles for local papers as well as Guideposts, Focus on the Family, and Clubhouse Magazine. Her biggest joy, besides being married to John for 37 years and raising six kiddos is spending time with her grandkids in the kitchen.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson
Thanks for this practical blogpost.
I loved reading these quotable from the episode. I love the last one: “Peace and patience go hand in hand.” Thanks for sharing these and for the wonderful Bible verses, too!
Michelle, I enjoy these podcasts so much every time I drop in! I also have to tell you that I’ve thought of you daily with gratitude every day for the past month. My pre-teen daughter and I just published a mother-daughter devotional book together, and I have aspired to follow your example of how to thoughtfully engage with my launch team, respond to every comment thoughtfully and prayerfully, and build community. It has been nothing short of beautiful. And the book is even ranking as a #1 new release on Amazon. I share this simply because I want to thank you for the example you set for me! You are a gift!
Stacey, oh how I love that! Thank you for taking the time to share that with me. It means the world! Congratulations on the book! What’s the title?
Yes! I think of you so often as I aim to cultivate community in that space! And the book is called Girl to Girl: 60 Mother-Daughter Devotions for a Closer Relationship and Deeper Faith. I never imagined coauthoring a book with my girl, but it’s been an amazing experience! We are praying it blesses multitudes of mothers and daughters as they connect over our words and encounter God together!