Today we’re going to be talking about how we can exchange our online distractions for real-life devotion. My guest today is friend, Wendy Speake, author of The 40-Day Social Media Fast: Exchange Your Online Distractions for Real Life Devotion. She’ll be sharing what she has learned through her periods of social media fasting and why we may want to consider doing the same.
Wendy shares more about why it’s time to lay down our phones and take a break from social media: It’s Time for a Social Media Fast
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- “Whatever keeps me from my Bible is my enemy, however harmless it may appear.” A. W. Tozer
- It is possible that what we are turning to, in order to cope with stress may actually be increasing our stress.
- God never called us to a sugar sacrifice, but to a living sacrifice.
- When we give God our ordinary hunger, we get a hunger for Him. He will satisfy our hunger.
- The only thing that doesn’t trip us up is running to Him.
- The conviction of God is kind.
- Digital minimalism: Choosing which hours to open up social media instead of what hours to shut down.
- When we take the details of our fast to the person of Christ, He will personalize the process for us.
- We set down social media so we can get social with the Lord.
- The more time we spend on social media, the more we compare ourselves to others, the more we feel like we are missing out, and the more depressed and anxious we become.
- Johan Wolfgang Von Goethe warned, “Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.”
- We live in a culture that values beautiful pictures but isn’t comfortable with beautiful brokenness.
- When you put your phone down it’s easier to lift your eyes up.
- While our smart devices offer us an easy way to find anything in the world, they can also be a distraction from the things that can’t be found with a Google search.
- If you want to learn to walk right up to God, start by considering how close He already is.
- We run to Him not to get a fix, but for Him to fix anything broken in us.
- Colossians 3:2 MSG “Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that’s where the action is.”
- Jonah 2:8 “Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them.”
- Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”
- Matthew 6:33 “These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.”
- Joel 2:12 “That is why the Lord says, ‘Turn to me now, while there is time. Give me your hearts. Come with fasting, weeping, and mourning.’”
- Jeremiah 2:13 “For my people have done two evil things: They have abandoned me—the fountain of living water. And they have dug for themselves cracked cisterns that can hold no water at all!”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- The 40-Day Social Media Fast: Exchange Your Online Distraction for Real-Life Devotion By Wendy Speake
- The 40-Day Sugar Fast: Where Physical Detox Meets Spiritual Transformation by Wendy Speake
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Guest and Host:
To connect with Wendy Speake:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Wendy Speake is the author of The 40-Day Sugar Fast and The 40-Day Social Media Fast and host of the annual online sugar fast. She also co-authored the popular parenting book Triggers: Exchanging Parents’ Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson