In this week’s episode, we’re going to be talking about how to be thankful for the little things in life when the big things seem to be falling down around us. I remember a time when God spoke to my heart and was really challenging me to examine my heart and answer the question, do I trust God in ALL things? Today, as we approach what is generally considered a holiday at which time we give thanks, He challenges us to thank Him for ALL things. This is a tall order. So we’re going to be talking about how to do that.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- One of the best ways to be thankful for the little things is to remember the grateful prayers of our children.
- How can we flip the narrative in our mind and be thankful for the hard situations? The snoring means he is breathing, the dirty socks on the floor mean our children are home, the dishes in the sink mean we have food to eat.
- Looking at the lack of others will stir gratitude in our hearts for what we have that others don’t.
- This is a very unusual year. Sometimes it isn’t just a matter of what we have to be thankful for, but who we can be thankful to.
- Tips for practicing gratitude when you don’t feel like it:
- Appreciate the kindness of others
- Shift your focus away from the pain
- Be thankful for learning opportunities
- (more tips given in the podcast)
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
- Matthew 18:3 Then he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven.
- Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The LORD will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right.
- Philippians 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Thanksgiving: Thoughts on Gratitude
- Thanksgiving: The Not so Little Things
- Gratitude Over Grumbling
- 6 Ways to Practice Gratitude When You Are Depressed
- A Surprising Lesson in Gratitude
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson