In this episode, we talk about how to train your brain to trust God. Our guest, Kris Reece, is an expert in this area and shares practical tips with us for learning how to renew our minds, take our thoughts captive and train our brain to trust God.
Kris also shares her 4 step process that shows you how to renew your mind and put an end to toxic thinking: Toxic Thinking: Take Control of Your Thoughts
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Renewing our mind begins with addressing thoughts that are not life giving.
- To take our thoughts captive we have to interrogate them to determine where they are coming from.
- Our thoughts come from one of three places: God (who prompts and convicts), Satan (who pressures and condemns), or us (often from our past experiences)
- If a thought does not come from God, I don’t want that thought.
- It helps me to know what the Bible says, and then to put it into my own words so I can apply it to that situation and remember it later.
- God never gives us more hard work—the enemy does that
- God reveals the areas that need renewal, by our reactions to situations. Oversized reactions indicate our internal thought processes.
- Our reaction is our responsibility.
- Romans 12:2 “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”
- Ephesians 4:23 “Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes.”
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer
- Who Switched Off My Brain by Caroline Leaf
- Build a Beautiful Life Out of Broken Pieces by Kris Reece
- Make it Matter—A Roadmap to Living a Life of Purpose by Kris Reece
- A Free 5 Day Created With Purpose Devotional
- A Free Guide “Uncover Your God Given Purpose
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Stay connected with Dr. Kris Reece:
Website / Facebook / Instagram / Pinterest
About Dr. Kris Reece
Kris Reece holds a Ph.D. in Christian Counseling and a Masters Degree in Theology. Kris’ passion lies in helping others to defeat life’s devils, grow in their faith and become everything God created them to be. She is a practical bible teacher, Christian Counselor, author and YouTuber. Her heart is to see God’s people healed and living a powerful Christian life. When she is not ministering God’s Word, you can find Kris hanging out with her husband, two girls and ever increasing tribe of fur babies.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson
“God reveals the areas that need renewal, by our reactions to situations. Oversized reactions indicate our internal thought processes.” I’m so thankful that our reactions can teach us things about ourselves and help us grow in our walk with the Lord! Great episode!
Oh my goodness, I enjoyed this podcast so much. Over the years I have done just what Kris talked about in seeking to take my thoughts captive as I dealt with fear most of my childhood and adult life. The Lord led me to really look at that fear and wonder where it came from. He showed me my feelings of abandonment due to my mom’s depression all of my childhood and up until she was old; my dad’s anger and lack of self worth gave him an attitude and behavior that caused fear and the need to walk on eggshells; and my lack of self worth due to never remembering that I was told I was loved. I began to measure all this to God’s Word only when I became a Christian at 11 and a wife and mother in my 20’s. I finally began to study God’s Word in earnest and see what God said about me. I LOVE how both you and Kris shared practical ways to defeat the lies of the enemy and the lies I had believed about myself all those years. Thank you so very much for all you both shared. I have already shared this with a precious friend who is struggling with her identity and with the lies. This message is so needed!!!