Will your anchor hold in the storms of life? In this episode, we’re talking about how to stay anchored in a storm and flourish instead of sink. Joining me is my friend, Cynthia Cavanaugh, author of Anchored: Leading Through the Storms.
As I’ve spent some time pondering some of the recent storms of life, I’ve learned a few lessons, including the fact that we are meant to go through the storms of life—not camp out there. Read more in this article: Storms of Life: We Are Meant To Go Through, Not Camp Out There
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- We need to give permission to others to share their struggles.
- Be careful not to be married to ministry instead of your spouse.
- We need to listen more than we talk. Offering spiritual platitudes never helped anyone.
- You don’t have to agree with someone to validate their emotions.
- God says, “Do you trust me? I am enough.”
- We need to prepare before the storm so we don’t capsize in the storm.
- Don’t try so hard to be someone who makes everyone else happy. Just be who God created you to be.
- Mark 4:35-41 “As evening came, Jesus said to is disciples, “Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.” So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, ‘Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?’ When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, ‘Silence! Be still!’ Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, ‘Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?’ The disciples were absolutely terrified. ‘Who is this man?’ they asked each other. ‘Even the wind and waves obey him!’”
- Psalm 34:18 “The Lord is close to the broken-hearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.”
- Psalm 37:1-7 “Don’t worry about the wicked or envy those who do wrong. For like grass, they soon fade away. Like spring flowers they soon wither. Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. Take delight in the Lord and he will give you your heart’s desires. Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun. Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act.”
- Isaiah 43:2-3 “When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Anchored: Leading Through the Storms by Cynthia Cavanaugh
- Live Bold: A Devotional Journal to Strengthen Your Soul by Cynthia Cavanaugh and Andrea Tomassi
- Fierce Convictions: Extraordinary Life Of Hannah More by Karen Swallow Prior
- You’ll Get Through This by Max Lucado
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Stay connected with Cynthia Cavanaugh:
Website / Facebook / Instagram / Twitter
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Guest Cynthia Cavanaugh:
Cynthia Cavanaugh is the author of multiple books and the award-winning author of Anchored: Leading Through the Storms and Live Bold: A Devotional Journal to Strengthen Your Soul with Redemption Press. In addition to writing and teaching, she is a freelance editor for new authors, providing content coaching and cooperative rewrites for Redemption Press along with working as a strategic marketing coach.
When she is not writing or speaking, you can find her playing games with her grandkids or watching a true-to-life movie with her hubby at home in the far corner of the Pacific Northwest. A little tea and chocolate make her smile.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson
Oh thank you dear Michelle and Cynthia for sharing from your life storms how the Lord help you navigate through them in faith, trust and dependence on Him. Our struggles are real and I have people message me daily who are in the midst of a storm and feel like they are sinking. This message encourages me so much and I will share it with others so they can also be encouraged to have an anchor solid so they will survive the storms of life with HOPE. God bless you both. Please keep sharing truth as it is making a difference in people’s lives.