(If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
If you have ever felt like God didn’t or couldn’t love you, then today is the perfect show for you. In this episode, I had the opportunity to chat with Wendy Blight about her journey to discovering how much God loves her, and how that has positively impacted her outlook since that time. Wendy shares her most harrowing life experience, and how that caused her to view God initially, question God, and come to know God’s love in a new and transforming way.
We all go through experiences that cause us to question, and sometimes even question God. Such experiences can either cause us to turn away from God in anger or turn toward God to find His love and comfort despite our circumstances. We often have a picture of God that is quite different than who He really is, until we begin to get to know God’s character.
Wendy shared what helped her get through life’s difficult trials, and how He can change us if we let Him. Wendy discussed the importance of answering the question “Who is on the throne of my heart,” and how that impacts our attitudes and behaviors.
Wendy shared how we can know and truly receive God’s love, and how much He desires that for each one of us.
Wendy has also shared a powerful process to overcome fear here: Three Steps to Overcoming Fear.
Listen at GraceandTruthRadio.world:
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- Many people question if God loves them, especially when it seems God allowed things to happen to us that He could have prevented. It’s hard to associate someone who supposedly loves you and who is so powerful who allows bad things to happen. But the truth is nothing separates us from the love of God.
- There are several universal questions people ask when going through a dark time, “God are you real?” and “God do you care?”
- Sometimes we grow up with a picture of God that isn’t consistent with the God of the Bible. What we really need to know is the character of God.
- Being in the word of God can give us a new lens and a new perspective.
- Even when God allows things to happen, He is there, He cares, He loves us, He weeps for us, and He is waiting for us on the other side.
- We will be more than a conqueror in Christ Jesus. But to be a conqueror, we have to go through the battle. But we make it through that because of Him.
- He can take the most ugly, traumatic messes of our life and make them beautiful with his healing, peace, love, and joy.
- An important question for us to ask is, “Who is on the throne of my heart?” God wants to be on the throne of our heart. He wants to be our everything. When we talk about what is on the throne of our heart, it’s anything, like a recurring thought pattern, that comes to you all the time and governs your day or governs your life. Who or what am I looking to for my hope, and for my safety and my security? That’s an indication that that thing holds a higher place in your heart and in your life than God does.
- In such situations, it’s important to have Scriptures which can interrupt those thought patterns, and speak those scriptures out loud over our lives and our situation which cause us to look to other things or other people. When we do it faithfully and consistently, God will use it to change us.
- When you have the perspective of God sitting on the throne of your heart, it helps you love everyone better. If we don’t truly know how much God loves us, then we can’t give that kind of love away. We love out of the overflow of our heart, so that means our heart must first be filled up with the knowledge of how much He loves us.
- The reason God loves you so much is because you are His: a child of God. We are blood-bought children of the One True God. That is our identity. When we carry the identity around that we are lavishly loved by the God of the universe, and He lives inside of us, that empowers us.
- No matter what you’re walking through right now, God is living inside of you and He promises He will never leave us or forsake us. Instead, He is living inside us to help equip us and teach us.
- Jesus came to save us, despite all our faults. If we were perfect that would make His sacrifice for us worth nothing.
- 1 John 3:1 “Consider the kind of extravagant love the Father has lavished on us … He calls us children of God. It’s true, we are His beloved children.”
- 1 John 5:12 “Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.”
- 1 John 4:4 “You, dear children are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”
- “I Am Loved: Walking in the Fullness of God’s Love” by Wendy Blight
- FREE “Walk in Faith” Declaration from Wendy Blight
- Great Love Prompts Great Sacrifice: It’s What Love Does
- Ask Dr. B: Truth For When You Feel Unloved
- It’s What Love Does
- Love Broke Through
- Ask Dr. B: Does God Really Love Me?
- Because He Loves You (In Case You Were Wondering)
- Words from a Loving Father
- “Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises” by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- “Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression” by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- “Hope Prevails Bible Study” by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
To connect with Wendy Blight:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube / On the Radio at GraceandTruthRadio.world.
This show is made possible thanks to generous donations from listeners like you. If you would like to support this ministry, you can make a tax deductible donation to Words of Grace and Truth (501c3) by going here: https://give.cornerstone.cc/GraceAndTruthRadio and putting “Your Hope-Filled Perspective with Dr. Michelle Bengtson” in the box marked “Designations.”
Guest Misty Blight:
Wendy is a wife, mother, author, Bible teacher, attorney, and the Biblical Content Specialist for Proverbs 31 Ministry’s Online Bible Studies. Her heart’s desire is to help women fall in love with God’s Word. To learn it, pray it, and know with confidence they can tackle any problem life presents through it.
Wendy has authored four books, Hidden Joy in a Dark Corner, Living So That, I Know His Name, and her newest book, I Am Loved: Walking in the Fullness of God’s Love. Wendy has been a featured guest on Oprah Radio, The 700 Club, Family Life Today with Dr. Dennis Rainey, Revive Our Hearts with Nancy Leigh DeMoss, and Building Relationships with Dr. Gary Chapman.
Wendy lives with her husband, Monty, in Charlotte, North Carolina and loves most when her two children, Lauren (26) and Bo (20), come home to visit and fill their home with lots of love and laughter!
Radio Air Date: November 11, 2019
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson