A God-designed life doesn’t start when you say “I do” or when you get engaged or even when you meet “the one.” It’s been happening as long as you’ve been alive—even if you’re still single and wish you weren’t. Hannah Schermerhorn knows what it is like. She was months away from getting married when her wedding was called off. She feared being single again, but in the following years, God taught her many hard lessons that transformed her bitterness into authentic joy. Join us for how to live a fulfilling single life without feeling lonely.
Quotables from the Episode:
- A person’s identity is not that they are single but that they are loved by God. That means that God has a plan for them and is allowing them to be single right now for a reason. That means God is always with them and they are never alone.
- A lifetime is a long time to be married to the wrong person.
- We often believe the enemy’s lies about our seasons of singleness, but lies usually come out of the fears we have.
- Baggage is anything you carry around with you from your past that negatively impacts your present or your future.
- In your singleness, take comfort that God is currently working not only in you, but is also preparing your mate for marriage.
- Your “season” of singleness is going to be a tiny piece of your existence in comparison to an eternity of happiness with God.
- Singleness and non-singleness are equal according to God! Marriage is not an achievement that makes one more qualified as a human being; it is simply a different and equally important life path.
- God sees you in your heartache and pain. In your triggers and anxiety. You do not need to hold on to them alone. God is with you and will help you as you take those first steps to unpack the baggage you have been carrying with you.
- We can acknowledge that the difficult feelings are there, but it is our choice whether we let them overtake our lives or give them to God and let Him fill us with joy and confidence.
- The world doesn’t expect singles to be happy, so when Christian singles can enjoy their life as is, it is a great evangelism tool!
- Romans 8:18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
- 1 Corinthians 7:8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do.
- Jeremiah 31:3 I have loved you with an everlasting love.
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- A Single Life to Live: Stop Waiting for Your Life to Begin & Thrive Where God Has You Today by Hannah Schermerhorn
- Hannah Schermerhorn Resources
- Outdated by Jonathan “JP” Pokluda
- Party of One by Joy Beth Smith
- Single, Dating, Engaged, Married by Ben Stuart
- The Hem of His Garment: Reaching Out to God When Pain Overwhelms by Dr. Michelle Bengtson (available in August, 2023)
- Today is Going to be a Good Day: 90 Promises from God to Start Your Day Off Right by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 1
- YouVersion Devotional, Today is Going to be a Good Day version 2
- Revive & Thrive Women’s Online Conference
- Revive & Thrive Summit 2
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 1
- Trusting God through Cancer Summit 2
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
Connect with Hannah Schermerhorn
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order book Today is Going to be a Good Day / Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails / Order Book Hope Prevails Bible Study / Website / Blog / Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson) / LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Hannah Schermerhorn is an author and speaker who lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with her cat, Fritz. Her recent book, A Single Life to Live, is written to encourage and uplift singleness. It was released on February 14, 2023. Learn more at www.hannahschermerhorn.com.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson