We all experience a wide range of emotions. Emotions in and of themselves are not bad—they are God given. But some emotions can be a stumbling block to our relationships, prayer life and our walk with the Lord. In this episode, my guest, Linda Evans Shepherd, and I dive a bit deeper into our emotions to share how to use Scripture to pray through difficult emotions.
Watch on YouTube:
Quotables from the Episode:
- God created our emotions, and we can turn to him whenever we are struggling with both the word and with prayer.
- God cares about our emotions—He gave us the fruit of the spirit which includes love, joy, peace, etc.
- We have to yield our emotions to God and trust Him to see us through them.
- The Word of God is the solution to every problem.
- Praying Scriptures that deal with emotions transform those who pray them with the power of the Holy Spirit.
- We have to be willing to look for the blessing in the midst of every trial—there we will find the unexpected miracles.
- Psalm 145:18-19 GWT “The Lord is near to everyone who prays to him, to every faithful person who prays to him. He fills the needs of those who fear him.”
- Psalm 145:18–20 GWT “He hears their cries for help and saves them. The Lord protects everyone who loves him.”
- Psalm 16:8 NLT “I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.”
- Jeremiah 29:11 NIV “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
- Job 13:15 NIV “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him…”
- 1 Peter 5:7 GWT “Turn your anxiety over to God because he cares for you.”
- Isaiah 41:10 NIV “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
- Matthew 6:25-26 ESV “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you of more value than they?”
- Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT “Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.”
Recommended Resources: (If there are affiliate links in this post, meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you)).
- Praying through Every Emotion: Experiencing God’s Peace No Matter What by Linda Evans Shepherd
- Praying God’s Promises: The Life-Changing Power of Praying the Scriptures by Linda Evans Shepherd
- Experiencing God’s Presence: Learning to Listen While You Pray by Linda Evans Shepherd
- When You Need to Move a Mountain: Keys to Praying with Power by Linda Evans Shepherd
- When You Need a Miracle: How to Ask God for the Impossible by Linda Evans Shepherd
- When You Don’t Know What to Pray by Linda Evans Shepherd
- Free Download: How To Fight Fearful/Anxious Thoughts and Win
- Award-Winning Breaking Anxiety’s Grip: How to Reclaim the Peace God Promises by Dr. Michelle Bengtson
- Breaking Anxiety’s Grip Free Study Guide
- Free 7-Day YouVersion Bible Reading Plan for Breaking Anxiety’s Grip
- Hope Prevails: Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
- Hope Prevails Bible Study by Dr. Michelle Bengtson, winner of the Christian Literary Award Reader’s Choice Award
Social Media Links for Guest and Host:
To connect with Linda Evans Shepherd:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
About Linda Evans Shepherd
Linda Evans Shepherd is a speaker and bestselling author of over 36 books including Praying Through Your Every Emotion, Praying God’s Promises, and When You Need to Move a Mountain. She founded Right to the Heart Ministries, Arise Esther, the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, Leading Hearts Magazine, and the Arise Daily devotional.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson