Are you ever caught by surprise by the events of life? Do you ever wake up and wonder how you got there? How has time passed so quickly? That’s where I found myself.
People warned me it would happen:
“They grow up quickly,” they cautioned.
“Before you know it, they’ll be graduating,” others warned.
Little did I know how true those statements were.
How I wish I could have slowed down the ticking of the clock and memorized more of the moments.
Eighteen years ago I had no idea just how much it was possible for my heart to grow and expand to hold more love for another human being than I already did. I had no idea how much I could be so proud of another person. I had no clue how much my heart would break when another’s heart broke.
I had no idea how fast time would pass. I could not conceive of how I could have such bittersweet feelings at one time: sadness for the end of a season and excitement for the start of another.
I had no clue how my heart would swell at seeing my baby boy turn into a responsible, young man of God, seemingly over night.
This lifetime education has taught me several things that it would behoove you to remember:
- God has good plans for you, Son. “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
- Keep your eyes on Him and He will direct your path. “We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.” (Proverbs 16:9)
- Seek Him first and all other things will be added unto you. “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:33)
- Worrying never serves us well. Refuse to worry and you’ll keep God’s peace. “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7)
- You may not always be accepted by man, but God always accepts you and that’s all that matters. “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)
- Nothing can separate you from God’s love (or mine). “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow–not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” (Romans 8:38)
On this graduation day, I realize just how far we’ve both come, how much I’ve grown, and how much we’ve both learned. I feel like, in some respects, we’re both graduating today. Always know how proud I am of you! Love, your biggest cheerleader, Mom.
Because of Him,
(If you have a question you’d like Dr. B to answer, contact her here now. Your name and identity will be kept confidential.)
A short brief about Hope Prevails.
Insights from a Doctor’s Personal Journey through Depression
Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Speaking from personal and professional experience, a neuropsychologist unpacks what depression is, shows how it affects us spiritually, and offers hope for living the abundant life.
Neuropsychologist Offers Hope to Those Struggling with Depression
-By 2020, depression will be our greatest epidemic worldwide
- An estimated 350 million people worldwide suffer from some form of depression
- As with the bestselling My Stroke of Insight, the author experienced the same condition she treats
- Helpful features include personal stories, biblical truths, prayers, and music recommendations
In Hope Prevails, Dr. Bengtson writes with deep compassion and empathy, blending her extensive training and faith, to offer readers a hope that is grounded in God’s love and grace. She helps readers understand what depression is, how it affects them spiritually, and what, by God’s grace, it cannot do. The result is a treatment plan that addresses the whole person—not just chemical imbalances in the brain.
For those who struggle with depression and those that want to help them, Hope Prevails offers real hope for the future.
Hope Prevails is available now wherever books are sold. To find out more, see: https://drmichellebengtson.com/hope-prevails-book/.
Beautiful Biblical truths for us all! Visiting from #searchingformoments
All these lessons are wonderful, but the last one really speaks to me today: “Nothing can separate you from God’s love (or mine).” So grateful for this truth!
Great lessons and beautiful truths, Michelle! You’re right… I blinked and they’ve graduated. Much love to you!
Love these life lessons, but most importantly that they include scriptures!
Thanks for sharing!
These lessons are so true.
Stopping by from #CoffeeForYourHeart
It does happen so fast! This month we graduated one and married off another, and I’m so thankful for the fact that even though I’m wistful for the tiny brown eyed boys that were — I’m beyond grateful for the tall godly men that ARE!
Awe, I feel your heart as my second just graduated from university, and goodbye is coming. Congrats, and thanks for planting hope and comfort with these scriptures.
I have 2 more years with my oldest. Each year will just get harder and harder to let go! I appreciate your last point – nothing can separate your son from God’s love…or yours. I think both of those truths are so important for our kids to have rooted deeply within their hearts.
Thanks for sharing on Grace and Truth, Michelle. Much love and prayers.
Oh wow, super great job Mom as you stepped out of an old season (raising your son to graduate high school) and stepped into a new season (seeing him go off to college to fulfill his dreams). Awesome words of wisdom from all those years of praying and encouraging him through all the grades of school and watching him fall and stand strong. Lots of tears, prayers and learning happened to both of you. Brought back many memories of my children and yes, time did fly and they did grow up too quickly. Now I am watching my beautiful granddaughter traverse those years and my daughter help her through them. Thank you for sharing these 6 Important Life Lessons. So encouraging!! Love and appreciate you Dr. Michelle!!!