When I was in the depths of my depression, I needed HOPE! I needed to be reminded of God’s character and to know that despite my feelings, I could trust God to see me through any situation. I firmly believe that our best defense is to memorize and recite Bible verses when we’re depressed or feeling down so we can use God’s truth to combat the lies of the enemy. If you’re searching for biblical guidance during tough times, consider exploring these Bible verses about feeling down and scripture for depression.
Recently, a reader asked about scripture to stand on for one who struggles with depression or anxiety. My suggestion? Memorize, recite and stand on these 10 Bible verses when depressed or when feeling down and need to be filled with hope. These Bible verses for feeling down are powerful tools to combat negative thoughts.
Dear Dr. B,
I know you’ve gone through depression, help those who suffer, and have written a book about it. I’ve really been struggling and just can’t seem to get to the other side. I’ve heard you talk about the importance of reciting Scripture and standing on God’s promises, especially when someone struggles with depression or anxiety. Can you suggest any particular verses to use to get started?
Lost My Joy
I’m so glad you wrote because I have been where you are, and I’ve shared much of my story in my book “Hope Prevails: Insights From a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression.” But I understand how it can seem overwhelming to hold a Bible in your hands and not know which of the thousands of promises to apply when you’re feeling down, anxious or depressed! I suspect if you prayed about it, the Holy Spirit would guide you, but perhaps He did just that by prompting you to write and ask for guidance.
Memorize Bible Verses
When I was in the depths of my depression, I needed Bible verses that gave me HOPE! I needed verses that reminded me of God’s character and that despite my feelings, I could trust God to see me through any situation. If I can give you one piece of advice, it’s to not trust your feelings because our feelings are really just the outward manifestation of the thoughts we believe. Instead, trust the word of God which is truth. That is why I advocate so strongly that we memorize Bible verses and recite God’s promises so we can combat the lies of the enemy with God’s truth. It’s always our best defense.
If you find yourself feeling down, consider turning to these powerful bible verses designed to lift your spirits and offer hope. Memorizing and reciting these scriptures can be your anchor in times of emotional turbulence.
10 Bible Verses When Depressed (or Feeling Down): Stand on These Scriptures When You Need Hope
Here are some of my favorite Bible verses for maintaining our hope when we’re depressed or feeling down:
- “The LORD hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles” (Psalm 34:17.) In moments of despair, turn to Psalm 34:17 for reassurance. This Bible verse about feeling down emphasizes that God not only hears our cries for help but actively rescues us from the depths of our troubles.
- “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand” (Isaiah 41:10.) Confront fear and discouragement with Isaiah 41:10. This scripture for depression is a powerful reminder that God is a source of strength, ready to support and uplift us with His victorious hand when we feel weak and helpless.
- “For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning” (Psalm 30:5.) When darkness surrounds you, find solace in Psalm 30:5. This Bible verse for feeling down acknowledges the transient nature of sorrow, assuring that God’s favor endures, and joy will inevitably replace the tears that fall during the night.
- “The LORD is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble” (Psalm 9:9.) Seek refuge in the words of Psalm 9:9 when feeling down or oppressed. This scripture for depression reminds us that the Lord is our shelter, providing comfort and solace during troubled times.
- “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ says the LORD. ‘They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope’” (Jeremiah 29:11.) Embrace the future with hope as Jeremiah 29:11 assures that God’s plans for you are filled with goodness. This Bible verse about feeling down encourages us to trust in God’s divine intentions, even in the midst of challenges.
- “Then Jesus said, ‘Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest'” (Matthew 11:28.) When the weight of the world feels overwhelming, turn to Matthew 11:28. This scripture for depression is an invitation from Jesus himself, offering rest and relief to those burdened with the challenges of life.
- “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19.) Find reassurance in Philippians 4:19 during times of need. This Bible verse for feeling down emphasizes the promise that God will provide abundantly, addressing not just our wants but also our needs through the glory of Christ Jesus.
- “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us” (Romans 8:37.) Claim victory over adversity with Romans 8:37. This scripture for depression declares that, through Christ’s love, we are not merely survivors but more than conquerors in all challenges that life may present.
- “I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely” (Psalm 63:8.) When feeling adrift, anchor yourself in the words of Psalm 63:8. This Bible verse about feeling down illustrates the image of clinging to God, finding security in His unwavering support and guidance.
- “But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint” (Isaiah 40:31.) Renew your strength with Isaiah 40:31. This scripture for depression paints a vivid picture of the transformative power of trust in the Lord, allowing us to rise above challenges and move forward with unwavering perseverance.
Recite Bible verses
When I was suffering with depression, I wrote out the Bible verses that gave me hope on post-it notes and stuck them on my nightstand, on my closet doors, on my light switches, on my bathroom mirrors, on the dashboard of my car, and any other place I would see them regularly. I would recite the Bible verses each time I saw them because faith comes by hearing, so I needed to hear them, until they got down deep in me and I believed what they said. They were God’s message to my heart, and they helped me refute the lies that the enemy had been whispering to me for so long. By the time I was done, I had over 100 verses written out and posted around my house. Incorporate these Bible verses for feeling down into your daily routine, and let them become a source of strength.
Pray Scripture Back to God
That’s exactly what I would recommend you do as well. These ten scriptures will get you started, but there may be other Bible verses that the Lord puts on your heart or that you come across in books that you read, or that you hear in sermons that touch you in a meaningful way. Cling to God’s promises and pray them back to God. The Bible says that His word will not return to Him void, so when you pray scripture back to God, He has to fulfill what He has promised. Find peace in praying these scriptures for depression back to God.
There are many other verses that spoke to me in my book, “Hope Prevails: Insights From a Doctor’s Personal Journey Through Depression,” and more about how I learned to apply God’s word to my situation.
God loves you so much and never intended for you to feel this way. But because of Him, #HopePrevails!
We all encounter trials and tribulations in life. What is your favorite scripture that gives you hope when you’re feeling down or facing difficult circumstances? I’d love for you to share in the comments.
10 Bible Verses to Maintain Hope When Feeling Down or Struggling with Depression or Anxiety
Hope Prevails and Hope Prevails Bible Study make great Christmas gifts!
Hope Prevails offers tangible help, hope, and healing from depression. Get your copy now!
For a Free eBook: How to Help a Depressed Loved One
For more helpful information about what you need to know when you have a depressed loved one, read here: 10 things to know if you have a depressed loved one.
Tips: what not to say to a depressed loved one and suggestions about supportive things you can say to a depressed loved one.